17th October 2018 |Youth News | Views

Event Details

  • Event type:
  • Date:
  • Start time:
  • End time:
  • Ticket price:
  • Venue:

Sunday 14th October 2018

Kent Youth League Central Division

Ashford United Under 15s 4-2 Ebbsfleet United Under 15s

Last Sunday Ashford Uniteds Under 15 Kent Youth League team were in action away to last seasons league winners Ebbsfleet. Having been unable to win against Ebbsfleet in either of last seasons meetings this was always going to be Ashfords first big challenge and it was a game that didn’t disappoint and obliged by being a tough, physical contest that was played at full speed from start to finish. The first half saw Ashford with the slightest of possession advantages throughout with a breakthrough in the 21st minute when a hand ball in Ebbsfleets box gifted Ashford a penalty, which was emphatically put into the back of the net by Captain Adam Potten. Ashford keeper Matt Lane was put to the test 4 minutes later when he made a fantastic full stretch save to keep Ebbsfleet at bay. With his good form continuing, Alfie Prior made a 30 yard strike with such force the keeper couldn’t stop Ebbsfleet from going 2-0 down. Ebbsfleet got back into the game when they scored in the second minute of stoppage time and the teams went into the break with the score 2-1 to Ashford. The second half continued in much the same way as the first with very little between the teams until 10 minutes in when Prior struck again followed minutes later when winger Paddy Underhill broke free of the Ebbsfleet defence and took Ashford’s lead to 4-1. Disaster struck for Ashford in the 62nd minute when they found themselves down to 10 men and with both central midfielders out of action managers Martin Halls and Kyle Galea had to quickly settle the boys and call on right winger Rowan Shardlow to cover the midfield and pulled one of the forwards back to help close the hole as Ashford dug deep and shut up shop for the remaining 20 minutes. Ebbsfleet managed to break through and get a second goal but Ashford kept pushing forward until the final whistle and took a much deserved 4-2 victory.