27th November 2018 |Youth News | Views

Event Details

  • Event type:
  • Date:
  • Start time:
  • End time:
  • Ticket price:
  • Venue:

Sunday 25th November 2018

Kent Under 15s Boys Youth Cup 3rd Round
Ashford United U15s 2-1 Holmesdale Under 15s
Venue – Homelands Stadium, Ashford

This Sunday saw Ashford Uniteds (U15) Kent Youth League team face Holmesdale in the 3rd round of the Kent County Cup at Homelands Stadium for a 2pm kick off. Both teams compete in the Central Division of the Kent Youth League and have yet to face each other for a league game so the outcome of this meeting was a complete unknown and from the kick off Holmesdale tried to out smart Ashford by playing a short pass and play style of football, little did they know that this is something that the Nuts & Bolts boys have been working on more frequently of late so when Ashford won the ball they countered with wide fast paced play up the wings. In the 25th minute it was Holmesdale who found the net first with a strike from the edge of the box that had Ashford keeper Matt Lane at full stretch but could not quite get his finger tips too. As they have shown in recent games going a goal down only seems to spur Ashford on and the remainder of the first half saw them apply more and more pressure but failed to convert their chances and they went to the break trailing by one goal.

After a rousing team talk by managers Martyn Halls & Kyle Galea, Ashford turned up the heat from the start of the second period and Holmsdale started to argue amongst themselves as they were time and time again out smarted by Ashfords play along the wings. The equaliser came only 9 minutes in when a corner kick from Ollie Halls was headed home by Jeremiah Bamgbose. The referee had to give a number of yellow cards to Holmesdale players as they seemed to implode under Ashford’s ever increasing pressure which the home team took advantage of by putting away their second when Gus Barnes found the back of the net after receiving a through ball from Rueben London-Hobbs. As much as the last 15 minutes of play had Ashford in complete control they just couldn’t convert any more of their chances and they took the win 2-1 which buys them a place in the next round of the Kent Cup and also means they now go 10 games un-beaten.