Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Woodstock Sports 6/4/15 Won 4-0

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 6th April 2015

Second-half goals see dominant Ashford ease to 4-0 victory

Match Stats

Date: Mon 6 Apr 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-0

Score (HT): 0-0

Referee: Jason Down

Assistants: Matthew McCaughan & Ollie Smith


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Joe Mant
Adam Cuthbert
Luke Cuthbert
Jamie Collado (off 84)
Liam Walsh
Pat Kingwell
Gary Clarke
Tom Scorer
Keiran Byrne
Liam Whiting (off 46)
Gary Mickelborough (off 75)

Substitutes (used *)
Lloyd Blackman * (on 75)
Michael Phillips * (on 46)
Jordan Harris * (on 84)
Paul Chambers

Dean Warford
Chris Moreton
George Batten
George Blake (off 68)
Rob Saunders
Tom Montgomery
James Matthews
Joe Borland
Louie Rowbottom
Ben O’Neil
Brett Ince

Substitutes (used *)
Olumide Oke * (on 46)
Lee Hockey
Chris Cooper * (on 68)
Glenn conlon

Attendance: 191

Ashford United made light work of visiting Woodstock Sports, easing to a comfortable 4-0 victory, thanks to a dominant second half display, which was neatly bookended by a brace of goals at either end of the half.

The visitors managed by former Ashford Town player Lee Hockey – who totalled 66 appearances for the Homelands club – have struggled to score goals this campaign netting just 37, only Croydon have scored fewer, so once the scoring had been opened, it looked likely that there would only ever be one result.

Although the home side bossed the first 45 minutes, no goals were forthcoming, but Ashford were a touch aggrieved on 16 minutes after Gary Mickelborough had delivered a sweetly struck ball into the penalty area which hit an outstretched hand. However despite the Assistant Referee indicating a penalty-kick, the Referee Jason Down felt otherwise by overruling the decision, much to the annoyance of Manager Paul Chambers.

It did however take until the 25th minute for the first shot on target of the match which came via Tom Scorer, who enjoyed a good game, firing straight at visiting goalkeeper Dean Warford who was equal to the task.

Sports showed little going forward but Joe Mant was forced into action to claw away a clip from James Matthews, who had two chances to score, this first one thwarted by Mant, then towards half-time heading wide.

In between Liam Whiting drilled in a low shot which bobbled towards goal, whilst Mickelborough flashed an effort wide of the target after a good Ashford build up.

The second-half was less than a minute old, when Scorer danced into the 18-yard box, only to be upended by George Batten, this time Mr Down had little hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped Michael Phillips, having replaced Liam Whiting at the break, to score Ashford’s 100th competitive goal of the season, the penalty guided into the net via the foot of the post, with 47 minutes on the clock.

The lead was doubled four minutes later when Keiran Byrne combined well with Pat Kingwell, the latter firing the ball into the six-yard box, which Mickelborough duly guided past a flat-footed Warford, for his second goal of the Easter period.

Byrne then flashed an effort off target, one of several chances that fell his way during the 90 minutes, as the Nuts & Bolts searched for more goals.

Then in the 61st minute, a rare counter attack by Woodstock, resulted in Joe Borland beating Mant with a well driven shot, only to see it hit the foot of the post and roll along the goal line, allowing the home side to clear the danger.

However apart from that scare, Ashford always looked in control of proceedings particularly with Phillips dovetailing nicely with Gary Clarke in midfield, they never looked likely to concede, with Mant only forced to make one other save of note during the second period.

The trio of Byrne, Scorer and Mickelborough created further chances, but it wasn’t until the 90th minute that a third goal came, when substitute Lloyd Blackman headed home a low cross from Byrne, after being introduced to the fray in the 75th minute.

The “coup de grace” though was saved for the second added minute of stoppage time and rounded off proceedings nicely at 4-0, when Kingwell picked up a lose ball, to skip past two defenders, before placing the ball past a forlorn Warford.

The win took the Nuts & Bolts back above Erith & Belvedere into second spot, the pair level on points with five games remaining of what has been another good campaign for United.

Whether Ashford can repeat the runners-up position of last season remains to be seen, as two of the five left to play are against champions elect Phoenix Sports, whom they travel to in the next fixture on Saturday 11th April.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall