Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

15/10/16 Sutton Athletic Won 3-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 15th October 2016

Hill Stunner lifts United to victory after kamikaze spell sees lead wiped out as once again Ashford end with 10 men

Match Stats

Date: Sat 15 Oct 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Kent Senior Trophy

Venue: London Hire Stadium, Lower Road, Hextable

Score (FT): 3-2

Score (HT): 1-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Luke Miller (15), Rory Hill (46, 83)

Goalscorers (Sutton Athletic): Chris Mirrlees (74[pen], 78[pen])

Referee: Joseph Dann-Pye

Assistants: Bradley Lonergan & Joshua Weller


Yellow Cards: Ryan James (75)

Red Cards: George Kamurasi (75)

Sutton Athletic:
Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Charlie Dickens
Tom Michelson
Ryan James
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer (off 77)
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford (off 66)
Luke Miller
Rory Hill


Brandon Williams
Danny Lye
Paul Booth * (on 66)
Owen Mcleod (gk) * (on 77)
Brett Ince

Sutton Athletic

Dean James (off 63)
Chris Page
Luke Newman
Will Roomes (off 39)
Chris Mirrlees
Sean Heather
Jay Smale (off 48)
Ben Williams
Arlie Desanges
Daniel Gunner
Jonny Murray


Marvin Francis (on 48)
Joe Hill
Aiden Pursglove ( on 39)
Dean Nash (gk) (on 63)

Attendance: 113

The last time Ashford visited Sutton Athletic, the sides battled out a dour goalless draw in the Kent Invicta League, back in February 2013 on a bitterly cold afternoon.

This time around the events of the afternoon were quite the opposite, as United eventually came away with a 3-2 win in the first round of the Kent Reliance Kent Senior Trophy, courtesy of a stunning winning goal from Rory Hill seven minutes from time.

All this after United had let slip a comfortable two goal lead whilst in full command, only to commit hari-kari by conceding two penalties in the space of a kamikaze four minute second-half spell.

The visitors also had George Kamurasi sent off as the lead unravelled during an eventful afternoon, which also saw four different goalkeepers used throughout the entertainment.

The fast paced encounter began with the outstanding Hill unleashing a speculative shot at goal in the third minute as Ashford looked for a fast start, whilst George Savage saw an effort go over the crossbar, following good work by Ryan Palmer.

The hosts, who created very few openings saw an effort fall to Jay Smale, which was deflected away for a corner-kick, before the Nuts & Bolts opened the scoring in the 15th minute.

Diminutive striker Luke Miller – playing his third match in five days – collected a loose ball to then cut in from the left, before transferring the ball to his right foot and curl the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

United continued to dominate in what in truth was a really one-sided affair, the home defence struggling throughout to deal with the pace and movement by Ashford.

Palmer was first to the ball in a one-on-one with goalkeeper Dean James, but his chip went narrowly over the bar.

The nippy Palmer – at last beginning to show glimpses of his form from last season – then combined with Pat Kingwell to set up Shaun Welford, but James did well to prevent the big Geordie from adding to his 15 goals this campaign.

The overworked James had to be at his best, diving to his left to deny Hill from doubling the lead from a free-kick on the edge of the box, before thwarting Tom Michelson with a point-blank save.

The tackle of the game came from Sean Heather in the 35th minute, which he timed perfectly on Welford, just yards from the goal. James then pulled off another top drawer save, this time from Palmer which looked destined to find the target.

With just 53 seconds on the second-half clock, the dominance in ascendancy was reflected in the score when Hill produced a good low finish after good work from Palmer produced the opening.

On the hour mark a neat one-two involving Palmer and Ben Davisson saw James prevent a third goal when he denied Miller from close range.

James though having picked up a knock earlier in the match was then substituted, with reserve goalkeeper Dean Nash coming off the bench to take his place between the sticks.

Veteran striker Paul Booth – having replaced Welford in the 66th minute – found space to fire across the six-yard box shortly after his introduction.

It just seemed a matter of time before the next goal was scored by Ashford, but in the blink of an eye, the good work by the visitors was completely eradicated in the space of four minutes of madness as they gifted the hosts a brace of penalties.

Chris Mirrlees dispatching from the spot in the 74th minute after a handball from Ryan James following a shot from the Arlie Desanges which had struck the defender, the awarding of the kick at best debatable.

Worse was to follow a minute later when Kamurasi seemed to catch a harmless routine ball into the box. However in a kamikaze moment with a player lying at his feet, he appeared to kick his man, the referee immediately showing a red card and then point to the spot.

Some three minutes elapsed – as Palmer was sacrificed to allow Owen Mcleod to go in goal – before Mirrlees took the spot kick and once again found the net.

Having drawn level the home side nearly took the lead, but Mcleod was alert to prevent a hook at goal from right-back Chris Hill from finding the top corner.

Ashford though made amends for letting a two goal lead slip, when man of the match Hill fired home low and hard from 16-yards out, after Miller and Booth had shown great alertness to prevent the ball from drifting out of play.

In added time the home side then fluffed a gilt-edged opportunity when Daniel Gunner, with an open goal at his mercy, somehow screwed the ball wide.

United will in the end be relieved to come away with a 3-2 win and progress to the next round, but how costly will it prove in the long run, as Kamurasi will now face a three match ban.

Manager Danny Lye will also need to install better discipline in the side, as for the third time in six matches United finished with only 10 men.