Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Sevenoaks Town 17/10/15 Won 3-0

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 17th October 2015

Ashford too hot to handle as they progress in Kent Senior Trophy

Match Stats

Date: Sat 17 Oct 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Kent Senior Trophy

Venue: Greatness Park

Score (FT): 3-0

Score (HT): 0-0

Referee: Jack Owen

Assistants: Ashley Overbury & S Rowedder


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Adam Cuthbert
Chris Elliott
Jack Healey (off 68)
Luke Cuthbert
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Ellis Green
Josh Woolley (off 53)
Sebastian Schoburgh (off 76)
Mikey Dalton

Substitutes (used *)
Shaun Welford * (on 53)
Nick Luen (gk)
Paul Booth
Tom Fagg * (on 76)
Michael Phillips * (on 68)

Richard Stroud
Tom Skelton
Reece Butler
Steve Camacho
John Lord
Tom Ripley
Chan Quan (off 81)
Gary Stock (off 81)
Stuart Zanone
Adrian stone
Martin Debrah (off 68)

Substitutes (used *)
Reiss Powell
Adam Marsh * (on 68)
Alfie Kitt
Ross Ibbotson * (on 81)
Michael Fahm * (on 81)

Attendance: 70

For the first time under Manager Danny Lye Ashford United recorded back to back victories, thanks to second-half goals from Sebastian Schoburgh, Shaun Welford and Ryan Palmer, which helped to comfortably dispose of Sevenoaks Town 3-0 in the 1st round of the Kent Reliance Kent Senior Trophy.

It was an inspired performance following the enforced sabbatical from the competition last term and the home side can have little complaint about the outcome on the day, with the Nuts & Bolts having just too much in the locker, which will no doubt please Lye in the infancy of his management career.

On arrival at Greatness Park, the signs suggested it would be a difficult afternoon for the Nuts & Bolts when the Sevenoaks line-up saw former Ashford favourites Stuart Zanone & Adrian Stone leading the line up-front for the home side.

However the threat of the pair was largely stifled out by the well marshalled visiting back-four, led by Pat Kingwell who was quite superb. Whilst debutant goalkeeper George Kamurasi – with Erith & Belvedere last season- handled everything well and was so much in command of his box that shots at goal were few and far between for the Oaks

It was somewhat of a surprise to see the arrival of the nomadic Zanone at Sevenoaks, unable to settle he now finds himself at his fourth club since he started this season with United.

But the arch goal poacher really only had two chances throughout the game, one as early as the opening minute, after shouts for a penalty had been turned down, before he flashed one just wide of the target in the latter stages of the match.

Stone, who had an even quieter afternoon than Zanone, made his debut for Ashford as a substitute on the opening day of season 2001-02 versus Burnham, going onto bag 38 goals in 124 appearances during his three spells at the Homelands. But will be forever fondly remembered for scoring five times in an 8-1 home win over St Leonards on 4th January 2003.

With Lye leaving Shaun Welford and Paul Booth on the bench, it was up to others to seize their chance and Sebastian Schoburgh twice went close, hitting the foot of the post midway through the first-half, having earlier forced home keeper Richard Stroud into a good save with his feet.

The opening period had been fairly evenly matched, but after the re-start the visitors saw Josh Woolley flash one just past the post and then shortly afterwards his replacement Welford headed into the hands of Stroud as Ashford began to dominant proceedings.

It was little surprise when the opening goal came after 56 minutes and was a first in Ashford colours for Schoburgh, who after being put through on goal by Palmer drilled home a fine effort past Stroud.

The lead was duly doubled after 74 minutes when Welford rose well and nodded home from close range, after a pin-point cross from Palmer had picked out the experienced striker, this following good work by Michael Phillips which had created the opportunity.

By now Ashford were running riot, overlapping runs by Adam Cuthbert and Chris Elliott added to the attacking options and with the home defence unable to cope with the trickery and speed of Palmer and Ellis Green it looked only a matter of time before further goals came.

As it was the icing on the cake didn’t come until the first minute of injury time when Palmer capped a wonderful display to notch his fourth goal in as many games. It was another gem of a goal but there was still much work to do when Palmer collected the ball, but he then tiptoed past three defenders before his crisp finish well and truly settled the contest in the most emphatic of ways.

It was a wonderful display and the Ashford side were given a rousing reception by the travelling fans, who returned back down the M20 in happy mood.

Ashford return to league action next Saturday with a trip back to Cray Valley Paper Mills looking to avenge the heavy 5-1 FA Cup defeat the Millers inflicted on the Nuts & Bolts back in August, which ultimately led to the departure of Paul Chambers after four seasons at the helm.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall