Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Maidstone United 19/7/16 Drew 2-2

Match Report by Neil Chamberlain posted on 20th July 2016

Nuts & Bolts strong to avoid defeat

Match Stats

Date: Tue 19 Jul 2016

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Pre-Season Friendly

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 2-2

Score (HT): 2-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Rory Hill (17), Shaun Welford (19)

Goalscorers (Maidstone United): Alex Flisher (81), Tom Murphy (87)

Referee: Unknown

Assistants: Unknown


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Maidstone United:
Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Charlie Dickens
Tom Michelson
Luke Cuthbert
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Mickey Phillips
Shaun Welford
Brett Ince
Rory Hill


Tasser Hassan
Luke Eldridge
Paul Booth
Mikey Dalton

Maidstone United

Ben Card
Ryan Golding
Brian Evans
Jack Evans
Callum Davies
Will Thomas
Vas Karagiannis
Dan Sweeney
Callum West
Jack Richards


Lee Worgan
Tom Mills
Tom Murphy
Jack Paxman
Alex Flisher

Attendance: 332

Full time result:- Ashford United 2-2 Maidstone United

Attendance 338 – (Rory Hill 17, Shaun Welford 19)

Man of the match – George Kamurasi

In what continued to be Barcelona-esque heat yesterday evening, we welcomed fellow M20 residents Maidstone United to Homelands, who bought a strong following along with them. There was no messing about from Danny Lye with the team sheet, with the only noticeable absentees being Ben Davisson & Stuart West.

Ashford started off well competing evenly against a side who reside 4 leagues above the hosts, but could have been in trouble when a foul by Ryan Palmer gave Maidstone a free kick outside the box in the 10th minute, which Kamurasi saw over the crossbar.

There was a short stoppage in play whilst a Stones’ player required treatment, which then led to the Ashford goalkeeper saving the resulting free kick. Ashford then broke up the pitch and in a counter-attacking style play, found themselves with a set piece outside of the Maidstone box. The free kick was taken, headed into the air by the opposition, touched down by Ryan Palmer which found Rory Hill who struck the ball on the half volley to find its way into the back of the net.

90 seconds later, straight from Maidstone’s kick off, Lye’s boys were back up the field with a great ball to Welford who passed the last defender, knocked it in a second time after his first shot deflected off the keeper to give Ashford a 2-0 lead after 19 minutes. Brett Ince wanted a third for The Greens two minutes later, but a through ball to him wasn’t quite enough. At this point, Ashford were well on top.

Maidstone had another shot over the crossbar after 26 minutes which then led to a short interval for refreshments. The visitors had a strong spell before half time, looking to get back into the game but the hosts defended well. Paul Booth, who came on for Ince on the 35th minute, had a couple of chances linking up with Palmer and Welford but couldn’t quite get passed the Maidstone defence who seemed to communicate a lot better in the latter parts of the first 45 minutes.

The second half began with Dalton switching for Welford at the break. Straight from the off Maidstone were on the attack and found themselves with a corner kick, but the home fans were put at ease seeing Kamurasi pick up the loose ball.

New signing Michelson went close as his head met an Ashford delivery from a corner kick but just went over the crossbar at the Road End. Substitution on the 54th minute, promising youngster Luke Eldridge replaced midfield maestro Mickey Phillips.

The visitors had a very dominant spell for the next 15 minutes but the Nuts & Bolts coped well and defended excellently. On the 67th minute, Big George made 2 superb saves in 60 seconds which kept Ashford with their 2-0 lead. Another substitution saw Hassan come on for Savage on the 68th minute.

Maidstone were awarded with a free kick outside of the area which was taken quickly but the ball found its way straight into Kamurasi’s hands. Ashford did have a breakaway attack to win a corner but that was eventually cleared by the opposition defence. The newly promoted Conference side were piling on the pressure as a point blank header was saved by the Ashford shot stopper on the 74th minute who then made another wonderful save 30 seconds later.

Two corners in two minutes for Ashford later on but nothing was to come of them. In fact, the second corner led Maidstone to score a breakaway goal to make it 2-1 in the 81st minute. Momentum was now with the visitors as they were on the attack again, regaining possession from the Ashford kick off but the linesman called for offside.

Ashford defended as well as they could but Maidstone were threatening and Kamurasi could only do so much. The Stones eventually equalised in the 87th minute at the Golf End. The last play saw the visitors with one more chance but was once again offside, and the full time whistle went.

A solid performance from Ashford, against a side one step away from the Football League. Most home fans would’ve taken a draw before kick off, we look very strong coming into the new season.