Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Lordswood 12/12/15 Won 5-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 12th December 2015

Five star Ashford second-half blitz blows Lords FA Vase dreams away

Match Stats

Date: Sat 12 Dec 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: FA Vase

Venue: Martyn Grove, North Dane Way, Walderslade

Score (FT): 5-1

Score (HT): 0-1

Referee: Nick Dunn

Assistants: Ivan Gelov & Jack Fagg


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Adam Cuthbert
Chris Elliott
Luke Cuthbert
Mikey Dalton
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips
Sebastian Schoburgh
Paul Booth
Dan Stubbs

Substitutes (used *)
Josh Woolley
Nick Humphrey
Ellis Green
Nick Luen (gk)
Tom Fagg

Sam L’Anson
Jack Hope
Danny Smith
Shaquile Richards (off 76)
Ashley Sains
Aaron Singh-Sekhon
Timmy Babington (off 52)
Grant Brown
Brendon Cass (off 66)
Ben Francis
Enoch Adjei

Substitutes (used *)
Sam Hayes * (on 70)
Jack Lodge
Reece Deakin
Nad Nwitu * (on 76)
Brian Daramy * (on 66)

Attendance: 90

Ashford United made it dozen games unbeaten by defeating Southern Counties league rivals Lordswood 5-1, to ensure that their name is in the FA Vase fourth round for a third consecutive year.

They did however have to come from being a goal down at half-time at a windy Martyn Grove, before running riot in the second period, in what was truly a game of two halves.

With a place in the last 32 of the competition at stake it was the home side, who with the strong wind in their favour dominated the first-half, but without really testing George Kamurasi enough.

This failure to make the most of the conditions was to prove pivotal, as once Ashford equalised after 54 minutes, there was only one side in it, indeed had it not been for a number of good saves from Sam L’Anson, the margin could have been even greater.

Having gone close through Timmy Babington, the home side took the lead after 19 minutes when Ben Francis latched onto a neat through ball to calmly slot home past the advancing Kamurasi for his fifth goal of the campaign.

Ashford were truly disappointing in the opening period, giving away too many free-kicks and showed little threat against a home defence well marshalled by former Ashford target Ashley Sains.

Lords despite the majority of possession never mastered the strong wind, Danny Smith over hitting nearly all the corners he took, whilst experienced striker Brendon Cass had a quiet game, before being eventually substituted in the second-half.

However whatever was in the half-time cups of tea, or what was side by Manager Danny Lye did the trick as the visitors were back to their brilliant best after the break. Perhaps nothing needed to be said as the players are good enough and knew in themselves that they needed to perform if they were to remain in the competition.

Just after the re-start Dan Stubbs fired one just wide in what represented the best chance for the Nuts & Bolts, as they searched for the all important equaliser.

The leveller though was soon forthcoming from the boot of Ryan Palmer, who was on hand to fire home from close range, after he reacted quickest to a loose ball which found him from a good in swinging corner.

Suddenly in an instance the game changed, with neat passes being sprayed about at will as Ashford seized their opportunity to show the home side that they meant business.

On the hour-mark a great move which involved Stubbs, Palmer and Paul Booth ended with the ball falling to the inspirational Michael Philips who unleashed an unstoppable shot, which fairly flew into the roof of the net from 25-yards to give Ashford the lead.

The screw was being well and truly turned as the overworked Lords defence had to be at their best to try and prevent further goals. L’Anson pulled off a terrific finger-tip save to thwart Booth, whose well struck free-kick from the edge of the box looked destined for the bottom corner.

Booth though wasn’t to be denied for too long, converting a 70th minute penalty after a handball offence from a ball pinged into the area from the impressive Chris Elliott.

Then just five minutes later, Ashford won another penalty as again a clear hand ball was spotted by referee Nick Dunn, after a ball from Stubbs had been illegally intercepted.

Having gone left with his first spot-kick, this time Booth fired into the bottom right-hand corner, for his second penalty double in as many matches, to take the 38-year old to 20 goals for the season.

Shell shocked Lordswood tried in vain to stay in the contest and when they did eventually find their way into the Ashford penalty box, Kamurasi was alert to smother at the feet of substitute Brian Daramy.

L’Anson was a busy keeper and had to be alert twice in a matter of moments, firstly denying a dipping Phillips shot, before reacting well to push away a deflected Elliott effort. Stubbs who deserved a goal from his fine performance then fired narrowly over as the 90 minute marked was reached.

Ashford though weren’t finished and made it a nap hand in the third added minute of injury time and what a gem it was from Palmer for his second of the afternoon, after he had been picked out by Dalton.

However on receiving the ball there was still much work to do for the speedy winger, but having cut inside his marker with his right-foot, transferred the ball to his left peg before drilling a great strike into the far corner of the goal past a forlorn L’Anson and complete the 5-1 rout.

United now wait with interest to see which of the Southern teams left in the competition they are paired with, in Monday’s draw for the fourth round tie scheduled for the second Saturday in January.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall