Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Hassocks 25/11/14 Won 7-0

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 26th November 2014

United romp to record victory in seven goal Vase rout at Hassocks

Match Stats

Date: Tue 25 Nov 2014

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: FA Vase

Venue: The Beacon

Score (FT): 7-0

Score (HT): 4-0

Referee: Dane Johnston

Assistants: Richard Ireson & Roger Wells


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Joe Mant
Adam Cuthbert (off 83)
Luke Cuthbert (off 75)
Tom Scorer
Liam Walsh
Pat Kingwell
Gary Clarke
Keiran Byrne
Stuart Zanone
Gary Mickelborough (off 73)

Substitutes (used *)
Andy Irvine * (on 75)
Lee Pleau
Charlie Dickens
Harry Priddle * (on 83)
James Everitt * (on 73)

George Willett
Bradley Tighe (off)
Tom Davess
Ashley Marsh
Nick Pitcher
Dan Stokes
Bradley Bant
Keiran O’Callaghan (off 67)
Dan Jacques
Jake Booth
Phil Johnson

Substitutes (used *)
Ryan Collins * (on 67)
Ian Simpson
Rowan Wallace * (on)
Ellis Common
Phil Wickwar (gk)

Attendance: 79

Ashford United opened their FA Carlsberg Vase campaign in emphatic style, romping to a record 7-0 victory at Hassocks much to the delight of Manager Paul Chambers.

Having been exempt up to the 2nd round stage, courtesy of reaching the 4th round last term, they took little time in settling into the re-arranged tie following the weekend washout by racing to a two goal lead inside the first eight minutes, on a wet a dull West Sussex evening.

With a shade over two minutes on the clock, Stuart Zanone fired the visitors in front following an intricate move down the right involving Darren Marsden and Gary Mickelborough. Then when Keiran Byrne ghosted in from the left side after eight minutes to double the lead it was effectively game over, against a side struggling in the bottom four of the Sussex County League.

Ashford were simply too hot to handle, the home side being undone by the shear pace and movement of the “Nuts & Bolts”, with full backs Bradley Tighe and Tom Davess left chasing the shadows of Mickelborough and Byrne throughout a torrid 90 minutes.

It was therefore of little surprise when the score became 3-0 on 34 minutes when class act Marsden opened his account for Ashford with a volley from the edge of the box after being set up by the tireless Byrne.

Three minutes later it very nearly became four, when the home defence was once again pulled apart, but this time Zanone saw his shot trickle just inches past the post with goalkeeper George Willett wrong footed.

However Ashford’s fourth was added three minutes before the break thanks to a bustling tussle for the ball in midfield won by skipper Gary Clarke, who had a quite superb game and finished off by Marsden slotting home after breezing in behind the defence.

A dejected home supporter declared at half-time that it was men against boys and he and his fellow supporters sadly found United in no mood to take the foot of the accelerator during the second period.

Twice after the re-start Zanone went close to adding to the tally, before the fifth goal came on 57 minutes when Mickelborough respond to a quickly taken free-kick by Clarke to drill home from 18- yards.

Willett then thwarted Mickelborough and Tom Scorer with a couple of good saves, but on 62 minutes the prolific Zanone poked home from close range converting a teasing Mickelborough cross to make it 6-0.

Shortly afterwards the woodwork saved Hassocks when Zanone fizzed a long range shot against the foot of the post.

As the contest closed, the final minutes became a bit scrappy and with five minutes remaining Joe Mant was finally tested by Phil Johnson, but the hosts were to be denied a consolation goal.

The misery for Hassocks was compounded in the first minute of injury time, when Zanone pounced onto a loose ball to finish from an acute angle and bag his first hat-trick for United and take his personal tally to seven goals in three matches.

United have to wait a little bit longer to see where they visit in the next round, after the replayed tie between Littlehampton and Abingdon was postponed and re-scheduled for Wednesday 3rd December.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall