Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Greenwich Borough 23/8/14 Drew 1-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 23rd August 2014

Honours even as Ashford and Greenwich share the spoils at the Homelands

Match Stats

Date: Sat 23 Aug 2014

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 1-1

Score (HT): 1-0

Referee: Kane Dempster

Assistants: Tim Amans & Joe Stokes


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Joe Mant
Luke Cuthbert
Ollie Finch
Lee Winfield
Liam Walsh
Pat Kingwell
Gary Clarke
Adam Cuthbert (off 89)
Keiran Byrne
Tom Scorer (off 50)
James Everitt (off 82)

Substitutes (used *)
Gary Mickelborough * (on 50)
Keelan Mooney * (on 89)
Phillip Leonard
Lloyd Blackman * (on 82)

Craig Holloway
Chris Edwards
Gary Borrowdale
Aaron Day (off 89)
Joe Vines
Scott Kinch
Jack Clarke
Chris Saunders
Paul Vines
Lewis Wood
Jamie Wood

Substitutes (used *)
Gary Stock
Frankie Beale * (on 89)
Robert Curtis
Billy Bennett
Ricky Bennett

Attendance: 176

It was honours even as big spending Greenwich Borough rallied to earn a point, despite being reduced to ten men with 20 minutes of the match remaining, as Ashford United were held to a 1-1 draw at the Homelands.

Borough who enjoyed the luxury of a pre-season trip to Cyprus are looking to buy their way to promotion from the Southern Counties East League, although results so far have been a mixed bag for them, so the visit to Ashford was seen as an early tough contest for both sides in a competitive league. The Homelands faithful were perhaps relieved when big named signing Gary Alexander who dropped down from League Two side Burton Albion, wasn’t listed in the Borough team.

In the end however, the match was a scrappy affair, which at times lacked fluency and cohesion, with both sides looking decidedly off colour where it mattered most in the final third, with the defences clearly on top. Whilst the visitors didn’t help the cause by bemoaning every decision made by the officials, which saw them end the day with five yellow and one red card for their troubles.

United created the better openings in the first-half, with the best chance falling to James Everitt who stretched and headed wide from a well delivered Lee Winfield free-kick.The opening goal though came for the home side on 24 minutes, when Keiran Byrne slotted home after receiving a route one kick up field from goalkeeper Joe Mant, to continue his fine form and notch his fourth of the campaign.

Chances to add a second then came just after the half-hour mark to Everitt, before danger man Byrne flashed one wide as Ashford continued in the ascendancy.

It wasn’t until the 54th minute that Mant was tested for the first time in the home goal gathering comfortably from the head of Lewis Wood.

Referee Kane Dempster was a busy man in the second period, brandishing yellow yards galore to Greenwich and eventually yellow had to turn to red and did so after 70 minutes. Joe Vines receiving his marching orders after collecting a second booking, although he had been lucky to escape such punishment earlier in the game when an elbow in the face of Byrne was missed by the officials, but this time he didn’t get away with stepping out of line and paid for his actions.

Despite the numerical disadvantage the visitors equalised three minutes later when younger brother Paul Vines fired home from close range. And from this moment, Borough started to realise that playing football was the best way to get something from the game, as they started to get the upper hand.

In the closing stages Greenwich came close from the boot of Chris Saunders, but when Ashford pressed forward, they couldn’t break down the defence. Gary Mickelborough for the home side looked lively setting up Everitt, who couldn’t quite get his feet into the right place to get any purchase on his shot.

Then as the game went into stoppage time, both sides had chances to snatch the points, as Lewis Wood hooked over the bar for Greenwich when it seemed easier to score. In a breakaway move, substitute Keelan Mooney missed for Ashford, before Saunders fired wide right at the death for the visitors.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall