Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Fisher 5/12/15 Won 2-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 5th December 2015

Fisher twice pay the penalty as Booth extends unbeaten run to 11 matches

Match Stats

Date: Sat 5 Dec 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 2-1

Score (HT): 1-0

Referee: Isaac Searle

Assistants: Mike Ingram & Daniel Froud


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Dan Stubbs
Chris Elliott
Nick Humphrey
Jack Healey (off 55)
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips
Shaun Welford
Paul Booth (off 71)
Mikey Dalton

Substitutes (used *)
Josh Woolley * (on 55)
Ellis Green
Danny Lye
Nick Luen (gk)
Sebastian Schoburgh * (on 71)

Joel Hannington
Rob Curtis
Jack Martin (off 87)
Jamie Taylor (off 77)
Gassimu Jalloh
Daniel Fleming
Travis Gregory
Dan Lawson
Shelton Godden
Alfie Nunn
James Fry (off 65)

Substitutes (used *)
Tyrell Mcleod-Bentley
Taylor Thomas
Frazer Bent * (on 87)
Alfie Roche * (on 65)
Emiliano Hysi * (on 77)

Attendance: 196

Ashford United extended their unbeaten run to 11 matches courtesy of a hard fought narrow 2-1 win over Fisher, who paid the penalty by conceding two penalties, both comfortably converted by the in-form Paul Booth.

It was though what might be classed as an ugly win, but in a match of very few on-target chances, Booth made it a personal tally of ten goals in seven matches as Fisher battled gamely, despite being down to 10 men for the second-half of the match.

Such was the paucity of shots in the opening period, that when Referee Isaac Searle spotted an infringement inside the box in first-half stoppage time, the converted Booth penalty was the first on target effort from the Nuts & Bolts.

The penalty also saw the dismissal in first-half stoppage time of the offender Rob Curtis, who was shown a straight red card to make life just a little bit more difficult for the Fish.

First-half chances were few and far between, although Nick Humphrey should have opened his account for Ashford after 14 minutes, but somehow contrived to poke the ball wide, then 10 minutes later Jack Healey fired over from long range.

It was hardly surprising that the struggling visitors were bereft of ideas in front of goal, having only scored 18 league goals prior to the match, with only Croydon having scored fewer.

Their moves were decent enough, with former Beckenham player Travis Gregory involved in most of the action, but he missed their best chance when heading over the crossbar, before shortly afterwards the opening goal for Ashford came from the spot right on the stroke of half-time.

If the first penalty was perhaps slightly dubious, there was little doubt about number two when Shaun Welford was upended by a needless clumsy challenge from Dan Fleming, after a neat pass from Michael Phillips had found Welford.

After a short delay which saw a yellow-card shown to Fleming, Booth stepped up to thump the ball past keeper Joel Hannington in the 50th minute to maintain his 100% spot-kick success rate, making it six penalties in 18 goals thus far for United.

It would be fair to say that the game wasn’t easy on the eye, in yet another match played with a strong to gale force wind making life difficult, as things all got a bit tetchy and scrappy and Mr Searle was certainly busier than either goalkeeper.

Sebastian Schoburgh was introduced and at last Ashford sparked into some sort out attacking intent, as he forced Joel Hannington into a fine save less than 60 seconds after coming off the bench.

The 10 men visitors though having barely had a shot worthy of the name halved the deficit through a beautifully struck free-kick from substitute Emiliano Hysi, which curled in off the post from 22 yards.

The strike was totally out of context with anything seen in the previous 80 minutes from the Fish, as they sensed an opportunity to collect a shock away point, but Pat Kingwell was in no mood to let them pass

Late on Ashford had chances to restore the two goal cushion as Josh Woolley fired past the post, before Hannington saved with his legs to deny Welford. Then moments before the final whistle Hannington stood firm to thwart Schoburgh with a finger-tip save over the crossbar.

The three points keeps Ashford in third place in the Southern Counties East League table, next up though for the Nuts & Bolts is a trip to Lordswood next Saturday in the 3rd round of the FA Vase.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall