Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

8/10/16 Erith & Belvedere Won 2-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 8th October 2016

Kingwell header secures the points after both sides are reduced to 10 men

Match Stats

Date: Sat 8 Oct 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 2-1

Score (HT): 1-1

Goalscorers (Ashford): Luke Eldridge (7), Pat Kingwell (76)

Goalscorers (Erith & Belvedere): Jeffrey Allen (29)

Referee: Jak Hill

Assistants: Ollie Smith & Wayne Dunn


Yellow Cards: Ben Davisson (42), Ryan James (52)

Red Cards: Shaun Welford (33)

Erith & Belvedere:
Yellow Cards: Paul Springett (34), Liam Wright (34)

Red Cards: Zak Henry (33)


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
Rory Hill
Charlie Dickens
Tom Michelson
Ryan James
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford
Luke Eldridge (off 88)
Luke Miller


Callum Howland (on 88)
Callum Whitmore
Danny Lye
Paul Booth
Owen Mcleod (gk)

Erith & Belvedere

Sam L’Anson
Jeffrey Allen
Sheriff Babatunde
Daniel Lawson
Paul Springett (off 46)
Aaron Fray
Anthony Adesite (off 77)
Zak Henry
Michael Fahm (off 68)
Al-Hassan Hoshilaja
Joshua Froggett


Nad Nwitu
Yinka Salami (on 46)
Alexander Anderson (on 68)
Liam Wright (on 77)
Lekan Burke

Attendance: 242

Ashford United found a hero in Pat Kingwell, whose 76th minute diving header helped secure a narrow 2-1 victory over Erith & Belvedere, after both sides had been reduced to 10 men in the opening period.

Ashford had the perfect start when Luke Eldridge opened his account after seven minutes, coolly rounding the keeper to slot home from an acute angle to give the hosts the lead.

Shaun Welford was denied by the crossbar after 25 minutes, then four minutes later against the run of play, the Deres drew level from a 20-yard low free-kick by Jeffrey Allen , which took a cruel deflection off a four-man wall to creep past George Kamurasi.

Almost immediately from the re-start all hell broke loose after Welford reacted after being felled by an elbow in the face from Zak Henry, which sparked a 23 man brawl as on rushed Deres substitute Liam Wright to add to the melee. After the dust settled Wright quite rightly received a booking, following the dismissals of Welford & Henry, whilst a yellow card was also shown to the visitors Paul Springett.

After the flare up, Ashford started to dominate proceedings, with Ryan Palmer and Eldridge shooting just wide, whilst Charlie Dickens produced a great run into the box in first half injury time, only to lose his way when close to the target.

Palmer struck a close range volley early in the second-half, but it was comfortably caught by goalkeeper Sam L’Anson, but the latter reacted well to finger-tip a well struck Rory Hill free-kick up and over the crossbar in the 54th minute.

Palmer then fired the ball across the goalmouth, but no one was on hand to get a vital touch on the ball, as the Deres survived another anxious moment.

The visitors then missed a gilt-edged chance after a mix-up between Dickens and Ryan James which let in Joshua Froggatt but keeper George Kamurasi was alert to deny the Deres number 11, only for the ball to rebound back into his path, but the striker somehow contrived to shoot wide of an open goal.

It was though the hosts who found the vital winning goal 14 minutes from time, after Palmer picked out Luke Miller with a long cross field pass, the Greenwich Borough loanee then chipped the ball to a marauding Kingwell, whose diving header gave L’Anson no chance to make the score 2-1.

The victory takes the side to second place in a very open Southern Counties East table, with the gap now just three points behind leaders AFC Croydon Athletic, following the Rams home defeat against Hollands & Blair, just one of several sides with eyes on being crowned champions next April.

The win however came at a cost, as in a fortnight leading scorer Welford will have to serve a three match suspension following his dismissal.

Next up for the Nuts & Bolts, a trip to Division One basement side – and without a point – Lewisham Borough on Wednesday evening in the League Challenge Cup, before visiting Sutton Athletic in the first round of the Kent Senior Trophy next Saturday.