Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Dunston UTS 30/1/16 Drew 1-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 30th January 2016

All still to play for in FA Vase after even contest at the Homelands

Match Stats

Date: Sat 30 Jan 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: FA Vase

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 1-1 (aet) score @ 90 mins 1-1

Score (HT): 1-0

Referee: Carl Brook

Assistants: Leigh Crownhurst, Matthew Goldsmith and 4th Official Richard Joss


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Adam Cuthbert
Josh Woolley
Mikey Dalton (off 93)
Luke Cuthbert
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips
Shaun Welford (off 68)
Paul Booth
Tasar Hassan (off 78)

Substitutes (used *)
Sebastian Schoburgh * (on 68)
George Savage
Danny Lye * (on 78)
Ellis Green * (on 93)
Nick Luen (gk)

Liam Connell
Michael Pearson
Dan Halliday (off 56)
Dale Burrell
Adam Wilkinson
Luke Gilhespy
Steven Harrison
Alex Francis
Stephen Richardson
Malky Morien
Dan Smith

Substitutes (used *)
Aristotte Guerin * (on 56)
Joshua Clarke
Michael Steinmetz
Liam Thear
Andrew Clark (gk)

Attendance: 636

It is probably the result neither side wanted, but it is back to North East next Saturday to replay the last 16, FA Vase 5th round clash between Ashford United & Dunston UTS.

On a bright sunny afternoon at the Homelands it ended all-square at 1-1, after chances aplenty following 120 minutes of pulsating action at the Homelands.

The hosts took the lead after 10 minutes from the head of Shaun Welford, but the 2012 competition winners from Gateshead levelled through a strike by substitute Aristotte Guerin on 64 minutes.

On reflection this was probably a fair result in front of an attendance of 636, which was the biggest at the Homelands since 734 witnessed current United Manager Danny Lye score the only goal in a 1-0 Isthmian League South victory over Folkestone Invicta for Ashford Town on 27 December 2008.

With long serving Invicta Manager and former Town Boss Neil Cugley watching, United opened the scoring in the 10th minute, when Welford rose to nod home into the bottom right corner of the net from a pinpoint cross from Tasar Hasan, to notch his 19th of the season.

It was just the start the home fans craved for and was no more than the Nuts & Bolts deserved having had the better of the opening exchanges.

Referee Carl Brook, it seemed was happy to let a number of healthy challenges go unpunished, with the visitors number seven Steven Harrison being perhaps fortunate not to see a card after at least three such offences.

The home side with Pat Kingwell outstanding in defence were able to restrict Dunston to mostly long range efforts on goal, whilst Luke Cuthbert did well to thwart Harrison after a fine turn and shot inside the box.

For Ashford Michael Phillips found himself in space but never really got a clean strike on the ball, before George Kamurasi was called into action to produce a good low save to deny Alex Francis.

The big home goalkeeper – on loan from Grays Athletic – then did well to keep the lead intact and get the better of Stephen Richardson in a one-on-one, to pull off a neat double save.

If the first half which was a slightly cagey affair perhaps just edged by the Ashford, the second period saw Dunston grow into the game as they forced the hosts to dig deep in defence.

Richardson lashed the ball over the crossbar after being teed up by a good knock down from Dan Smith. Shortly afterwards Dale Burrell just cleared the crossbar, before Kamurasi stood firm again to keep out a good effort from Francis, whilst Welford missed chances to add to the lead for Ashford.

Playmaker Phillips, seemingly the target from one or two opposition heavy challenges, somewhat ironically became the first player of the afternoon to receive a yellow card on the hour mark.

The equaliser came after 64 minutes when the offside trap was beaten and a burst of speed saw Malky Morien head towards goal. The striker though foxed Kamurasi by not shooting and laying the ball off to substitute Guerin, who showed cool composure to slot home.

Kamurasi then produced a finger-tip save to keep things on level terms and prevent Richardson from scoring.

Ashford though still searched for a second goal, but seemed wasteful after good build up play, with stand in left back Josh Woolley guilty of too many over hit balls into the box.

United survived when Dunston went close through Richardson who drilled the ball just inches past the post, then Kamurasi palmed away a rasping drive from Harrison.

The final chance inside regulation play fell to Morien but he pulled the ball wide of the target which meant 30 minutes of extra-time would be played.

Deep in injury time, a flare-up on the touch line saw Phillips and Burrell clash and after a scuffle involving several players, Burrell was shown a yellow-card for preventing Phillips from taking a quick throw.

Extra-time was end-to-end stuff indeed, Ryan Palmer fired wide for Ashford, before the away side saw Francis fire over from 28-yards out. Kingwell was on hand to block a powerful effort from Morien, who moments later shot narrowly wide, whilst substitute Ellis Green curled one just wide for United.

Green then delivered a great cross to the far post, but Phillips was always stretching and couldn’t get enough purchase on the ball to find the target.

Woolley hit a fierce effort, but the shot was always rising and cleared the crossbar within the opening minute of the second period of extra-time.

Morien was through on goal but a combination of Kingwell and Kamurasi allowed the ball to slow towards goal, before it was cleared from danger by Woolley.

For Ashford Paul Booth skipped into the box after being released by Green from a fast breakaway, but visiting keeper Liam Connell was on hand to collect the ball at the second attempt from Booth’s well struck shot.

As the 120 minute mark approached either side could have snatched the winner, Burrell setting up Morien whose effort flashed wide of the post. Then Palmer flew down the right-wing for the hosts to fire in a low cross, but no one was able to get a touch after substitute Sebastian Schoburgh had guided the ball towards the target.

Both sides were applauded at the end of the entertainment as Ashford now face the daunting task of the long away trip to the North East next weekend.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall