Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Deal Town 29/9/15 Won 5-3

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 29th September 2015

Eight goal thriller sees United off to winning ways at Homelands

Match Stats

Date: Tue 29 Sep 2015

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 5-3

Score (HT): 2-2

Referee: Jack Hobbs

Assistants: Jak Hill & Bo Wang


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Dan Eason
Tony Browne
Luke Cuthbert (off 46)
Jamie Bosio
Danny Lye
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips
Shaun Welford (off 78)
Seb Schoburgh (off 62)
Chris Elliott

Substitutes (used *)
Ellis Green * (on 78)
Josh Woolley * (on 46)
Paul Booth * (on 62)
Nick Luen (gk)
Mitch Dalton

Chris Waymark
Liam Hark
Charlie Dickens
Sam Short (off 82)
Lee Scott
Luke Biggington (off 57)
Ryan Philpott (off 69)
Charlie Walsh
Connor Coyne
Andy Miller
Reme Riviera

Substitutes (used *)
Dan Smith * (on 82)
Jack Tanner
Grant Bagley
Joe Anderson * (on 57)
Mitchell Knight * (on 69)

Attendance: 169

At the fourth attempt, the Nuts & Bolts finally got off to winning ways at the Homelands, courtesy of an entertaining 5-3 win over Deal Town, with the eight goal spectacular reminiscent of the attacking era witnessed during the 1990’s of the Ashford Town side under Manager Neil Cugley.

Indeed 5-3 wins are hardly a regular occurrence these days, with the last one in Ashford’s favour at home, coming when a brace from Mark Stanton helped secure the points in the Southern League over visiting Sudbury Town on Tuesday 20th August 1991.

Having collected only two points from a possible nine thus far on the 3G pitch, the majority of the 169 crowd would have settled for a win of any sort, so it came as a great relief when the hosts opened the scoring as early as the seventh minute.

The scoring started courtesy of Shaun Welford who nipped in to capitalise on an errant back pass, then having beaten keeper Chris Waymark to the ball, virtually walked the ball into the net to put Ashford one up.

In the three previous home matches, United had failed to hold onto the lead having gone in front in each of the games, so having pretty much dominated the opening period, they saw their lead wiped out with two quick fire goals for the visitors in the space of ninety seconds.

The equaliser after 38 minutes, when Ryan Philpott thumped the ball with venom into the top left hand corner of the net after Ashford failed to clear their lines. Then almost immediately Connor Coyne stabbed home a second after a mistake from goalkeeper Dan Eason, who failed to catch a regulation ball under no pressure.

The reply from the Nuts & Bolts was swift, with parity restored before the half-time interval when Danny Lye headed home, having moments early been denied by Waymark with a finger-tip save. However the resultant corner-kick was so well directed, with the neat glancing header from the Player Manager being just what Ashford needed going into the break.

Ryan Palmer again enjoyed an excellent game and the visitors struggled to combat his threat down the right-hand side and a great run from him on 55 minutes found Welford, but a spectacular volley from the 36-year old was too high.

Eason then atoned for his early error by pulling off a fine save to thwart Andy Miller from 20-yards out to keep the scores level, before Ashford added to the goal tally with two further strikes.

The Nuts & Bolts went back in front when an accurate through ball from Michael Phillips picked out Palmer, who showed neat footwork before firing low and hard on 61 minutes past the left hand of Waymark.

The cushion becoming two goals when Welford made it 4-2 with his second of the night, who after beating the offside trap from a layoff by Paul Booth, drew the visiting keeper wide and slid the ball home with his left foot.

It was end to end stuff and once again Eason stood firm to keep the two goal advantage intact, but he could do little to prevent Deal from pulling a goal back shortly afterwards. Substitute Joe Anderson did well clipping the ball across the goalmouth, Eason was unable to punch the ball clear and Reme Riviera was close by to put the visitors back into the contest on 75 minutes.

Any nerves that the hosts may have had were quickly extinguished when three minutes later Palmer made sure of the points, after fine interplay from Phillips and Lye set up the chance which he gleefully accepted to make the score 5-3.

Even then it could and perhaps should have been more goals, Phillips firing wide on two occasions, but possibly the best chance fell to Booth, who after being picked out by Ellis Green could only direct his header straight at Waymark.

The win takes United back up a couple of places to 5th in the Southern Counties table ahead of the visit to big spending Greenwich Borough on Saturday.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall