Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Crowborough Athletic 7/11/15 Won 6-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 7th November 2015

Crowborough hit for six as rampant United run riot

Match Stats

Date: Sat 7 Nov 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 6-1

Score (HT): 3-1

Referee: Richard Butcher

Assistants: Ashley Overbury & Don Macleod


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Adam Cuthbert
Chris Elliott
Luke Cuthbert
Danny Lye (off 60)
Pat Kingwell
Ellis Green (off 63)
Mikey Dalton
Shaun Welford (off 75)
Sebastian Schoburgh
Dan Stubbs

Substitutes (used *)
Nick Luen (gk)
Tom Fagg * (on 75)
Paul Booth * (on 63)
Jack Healey * (on 60)
Josh Woolley

Callum Hampson
Tom Boddy
Alex Rich
Kevin Everest
Jason Hollick
Paul Butler
Wayne Clarke (off 73)
David Heaton (off 52)
Josh Biddlecombe
Callum Ridley (off 73)
John Shea

Substitutes (used *)
Robert Taylor * (on 73)
Will Jagger
Chris Ransome
Morgan Steadman * (on 52)
Jack Funnel * (on 73)

Attendance: 222

Ashford United ended a turbulent week in the best possible way, by running riot and romping to a 6-1 victory over Crowborough Athletic, much to the delight of the 222 hardy souls that turned out on a blustery wet afternoon at the Homelands.

They also produced the rare feat of six different players scoring, to send the statisticians searching the record books for any other occasions that an Ashford side have performed the unusual feat.

With the answer to that question appearing to be way back on 8 February 1964, when seven of the side found the net, after Ashford Town beat Barry Town 10-1 at Essella Park in the Southern League.

Back to the present day and the floodgates opened early when Ellis Green showed great alertness to put the hosts in front inside the fourth minute. Green saw his initial shot blocked, but he was fastest to react to the dropping ball to fire home from 10-yards out to give Ashford the perfect start.

The Crows though levelled against the run of play through Josh Biddlecombe from the penalty spot after 17 minutes, when Ashford conceded a soft penalty on the edge of the box as offender Adam Cuthbert received a yellow card.

The Nuts & Bolts though didn’t dwell on the injustice and continued to dominate proceedings, with Green and Sebastian Schoburgh proving particularly difficult to defend against.

The pair coupled with a lively Mikey Dalton and new signing Dan Stubbs shining, meant it was a torrid afternoon for the visitors.

Stubbs has a wealth of experience at a higher level, having had successful times at Margate for whom he made in excess of 150 appearances whilst with the Hartsdown Park outfit. After starting out in Ebbsfleet’s youth team, he has also played at Dover, spent short time with Icelandic side KA Akureyri as well as with Cray Wanderers and more recently Hythe Town.

The 26-year old is no stranger to the Homelands as he was also with Maidstone United in their ground sharing time at Ashford playing alongside Green and Danny Lye in that same side, with Manager Lye also with him at Cray Wanderers.

It came as little surprise when the lead was doubled after 35 minutes after the home side had been knocking at the door since conceding the penalty, the play having been one-way traffic as Ashford laid siege in the visitors half, firing in shots at goal and winning a succession of corners.

After coming close through Schoburgh and Welford, the visitors were grateful to Jason Hollick with a goal-line clearance to deny Schoburgh, but could do little to prevent him from finding the net shortly afterwards.

Dalton weaved his magic to pick out Schoburgh with a neat delivery across the six-yard box, which the striker – who had earlier had a goal disallowed – tapped in from close range.

Then seven minutes later it became 3-1, with this time Schoburgh turning provided, finding his partner Welford at the far post who had the easiest of chances to make it a dozen for the season.

Any hopes the visitors harboured of getting back into the game in the second-half were well and truly quashed after 49 minutes, as having seen Welford go close, Pat Kingwell cracked a shot low into the right-hand corner of the net from just outside the box to make it 4-1.

To make matters worse visiting goalkeeper Callum Hampson endured two minutes of madness earning two yellow cards to make the day even more miserable for the Crows.

Picking up the ball from a back pass which the referee quite rightly penalised the visitors for, Hampson and Paul Booth then clashed as the home side tried to take a quick indirect free-kick with the pair each being shown a yellow card.

Although the free-kick was wasted, almost at once Hampson with a clumsy challenge brought down Welford as referee Richard Butcher pointed to the spot for the second time of the afternoon.

Having done so, a second yellow card was waved at the keeper, who trudged off the field, maybe the second booking was a touch harsh, but having already had his name taken for his foolish actions just two minutes earlier, he would have been wise to have let Welford go, particularly as he was going away from the goal at the time of the challenge.

With no goalkeeper on the bench, number six Paul Butler was forced to don the gloves and his first action was to pick Booth’s penalty from the back of the net on 72 minutes, as the fifth goal went in.

The rout was complete with two minutes of normal time remaining, when Adam Cuthbert and Booth combined with a neat one-two, when the former on receiving the ball fired home to make it six different scorers and end the scoring at 6-1.

Despite being outplayed in every department the visitors kept battling, but having been bereft of ideas in the final third were no match for the rampant hosts, who cut through the Crows like a knife through butter.

Then finally as the 90 minute mark was reached they nearly added a second, but Biddlecombe’s shot shaved the top of the crossbar, ensuring that home keeper George Kamurasi is yet to be beaten in open play in his four appearances thus far.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall