Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

29/10/16 Crowborough Athletic Lost 0-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 29th October 2016

Unbeaten away run ended as United slip to third in the table

Match Stats

Date: Sat 29 Oct 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Crowborough Community Stadium

Score (FT): 0-2

Score (HT): 0-2

Goalscorers (Crowborough Athletic): Zac Attwood (16), Sam Carrington (45)

Referee: Dan Doyle

Assistants: Steve Roots & Josh Smith


Yellow Cards: Ben Davisson (2), Dave Botterill (16), Rory Hill (18), Tom Michelson (40), Stuart West (64), Pat Kingwell (75)

Red Cards: None

Crowborough Athletic:
Yellow Cards: Jack Walder (2), Lee Carey (86)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Nic Taylor
George Savage
David Botterill
Tom Michelson (off 73)
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer (off 59)
Ben Davisson
Ryan James
Luke Miller
Rory Hill (off 78)


Owen Mcleod (gk)
Luke Eldridge (on 78)
Adrian Stone (on 59)
Callum Howland
Brett Ince (on 73)

Crowborough Athletic

Dan Ellis
Sam Crabb
Henry Muggeridge (off 90)
Tom Boddy
Jason Barton
Dan Tear
Lee Carey
Jack Walder (off 73)
Zac Attwood
Sam Carrington (off 82)
Dan Perry


Phillip Appiah (on 73)
John Shea (on 90)
Charlie Slocombe (on 82)
Tom Pearson
Dan Smith (gk)

Attendance: 294

Two first-half goals were enough to end Ashford United’s 18 match unbeaten away league run, as in-form Crowborough Athletic ran out worthy winners in the top of the table Southern Counties East League clash in East Sussex.

United were decidedly off colour on the day and could have little complaint with the result, being barely able to muster a meaningful shot on target during the 90 minutes, whilst no less than six United players were booked by the card happy referee.

With goalkeeper George Kamurasi and top scorer Shaun Welford suspended, the travelling faithful saw Nic Taylor once again between the sticks having joined from Haywards Heath, following his recent one match loan spell as cover last month.

Whilst on the bench former Ashford Town striker Adrian Stone made a surprise return in Ashford colours after scoring four times in as many games for the Crows, having only recently joined them earlier in the month following his release by Thamesmead Town.

The 34-year old of course needs no introduction to Ashford supporters, having debuted for the Town side as a substitute on the opening day of season 2001-02. During three spells at the club he scored 38 goals in 124 appearances for the Nuts & Bolts, attaining cult status when he scored five in a match during the 8-1 victory over St Leonards at the Homelands on 4th January 2003.

What proved to be a busy afternoon for referee Dan Doyle saw a flare up in just the second minute, when Ben Davisson and Jack Walder clashed, for which the pair were shown a yellow card.

The hosts took the lead in the 16th minute from the penalty spot, the referee having blown his whistle and pointing to the spot, despite the Crows having already found the net and not allowing the advantage after the infringement.

The scorer Zak Attwood was though slightly fortunate, after his initial spot-kick was saved by Taylor, only for the ball to rebound back kindly into the path of the home number nine.

In the 28th minuteTaylor produced a quite brilliant save, to tip a thunderous header from Dan Perry over the crossbar and out for a corner-kick. But whilst the Crows had the better of the possession, most of the play was contained in the middle third of the pitch, with neither goalkeeper seeing much action.

Five minutes before the break former Tunbridge Wells defender Jason Barton pulled of a perfectly timed tackle to deny Rory Hill, as United made a rare sortie into the 18-yard box.

Then on the stroke of half-time, following a spell of pressure from the home side, the lead was doubled when Sam Carrington, was given space to turn and swivel before rifling the ball into the top left hand corner of the net.

Although Ashford raised their game in the second-half, they huffed and puffed but were never able to wrestle the initiative from the hosts back their way.

Taylor had to be alert when he tracked back to scramble the ball off the line and thwart Perry, after the ball had squirmed under his body from the initial shot.

The Nuts & Bolts eventually created some opportunities, following the introduction of Stone and Brett Ince. Luke Miller went close to scoring twice in quick succession, whilst the returning Stone shot narrowly past the post.

As the disappointing afternoon for Ashford drew to a close they almost conceded a third goal, only for the unlucky Perry to hit the foot of the post in the second minute of injury time.

So having started the day in pole position, United slipped to third following AFC Croydon Athletic’s 5-1 victory at Bearsted, who now lead the pack with the Crows in second spot.

Ashford now host two matches inside five days, as on Tuesday evening Sevenoaks Town – who lie four points behind United, but having played three less matches – travel to the Homelands, before next Saturday 5th November Croydon visit.

Following the two important league encounters, United then travel to Southern Combination Premier side Eastbourne Town (12th November) in the Buildbase FA Vase Second Round, setting up a potential encounter with former Ashford Town favourite Sean Ray.