Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Crowborough 18/10/14

Match Report by Denise Peach posted on 19th October 2014

Another draw seemed a fair result

Match Stats

Date: Sat 18 Oct 2014

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: away

Score (FT): 2-2

Score (HT): 2-1

Referee: Unknown

Assistants: Unknown


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Teams: 1

Attendance: Unknown

Crowborough Athletic 2 Ashford United 2
Southern Counties East Football League

Saturday, 18th October 2014

This was a very entertaining game with chances created at both ends but
, in the overall scheme of things, Ashford must view this as another two points dropped.

The early exchanges belonged to the home side, with the lively Crowborough strikers causing the visiting defence to dig deep and Joe Mant had to be alert to keep out an effort from Scott Treleaven.

The Nuts & Bolts took the lead on 22 minutes when the ever alert Stuart Zanone reacted to a defensive mix-up in the penalty area. The former VCD striker beat home goalkeeper Nick Collick to the ball and then rounded two defenders before scoring with a shot from the edge of the box. It was a cool finish and his sixth goal of the season.

However, just two minutes later, the home side were on level terms after a defensive lapse. Jason Barton was brought down in the box by Lee Winfield and it was the same player who stepped up to score the resulting spot-kick with a left footed effort. Zanone then got himself booked for lifting his foot just as the home keeper was about to clear the ball upfield.

It then got worse for Ashford – three minutes before the break when, from a corner on the left, the ball hit Pat Kingwell on the arm and the referee pointed to the spot. The decision looked harsh from my viewpoint but, once again, it was Barton who stepped up with a shot into the opposite corner giving Mant no chance.

Then, not for the first time this season, it was a half time pep talk from the management team that stirred the visitors into action and they drew level on 48 minutes when the returning James Everitt scored with a well-placed shot from the left-hand side of the penalty area.

At this point Ashford were dominating and Kieran Byrne saw his effort go over the bar from just outside the six-yard box as Paul Chambers’ side looked the more likely team to move in front.

In the final 20 minutes, the game really opened up as the play switched from end-toend including the home side hitting the post from a spectacular overhead kick, after Mant had made a superb save in the Ashford goal.

The visitors then had another chance as Byrne sent in a teasing cross from the left but substitute Connor Coyne saw his effort go wide. Luke Cuthbert then went on a great run,down the left, cut inside and sent a terrific shot over  from all of 35-yards, which keeper Collick somehow managed to deflect on to the bar and over for a corner.

There were two Ashford bookings in the final ten minutes with captain Gary Clarke booked for dissent before Liam Walsh received a yellow card for kicking the ball away. In the last few minutesWinfield did well to clear off the line and it was then a corner from the same player that found Everitt but he headed narrowly over the bar.

Into stoppage time, and a bursting run down the left by substitute Gary Mickelborough picked out Coyne who could and should have scored but the striker saw his shot go over the bar as it finished honours even.  

The Ashford team was as follows: Joe Mant, James Everitt,Luke Cuthbert, Lee Winfield, Liam Walsh, Pat Kingwell, Gary Clarke (captain), Adam Cuthbert (Harry Priddle – 86minutes), Stuart ZanoneTom Scorer (Connor Coyne – 53minutes), Kieran Byrne (Gary Mickelborough – 86 minutes).

Subs not used – Jordan Miller
 and Lloyd Blackman

Match Day Reporter – Dave Reid