Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Cray Valley Paper Mills 24/10/15 Won 5-0

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 24th October 2015

Millers torn to shreds as five star Ashford romp to victory

Match Stats

Date: Sat 24 Oct 2015

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Badgers Sports Club, Eltham

Score (FT): 5-0

Score (HT): 3-0

Referee: Ronald Albert

Assistants: Steve Roots & Matt Pollington


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

George Kamurasi
Adam Cuthbert
Chris Elliott
Mikey Dalton
Luke Cuthbert
Jack Healey
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips
Shaun Welford (off 73)
Paul Booth (off 66)
Ellis Green (46)

Substitutes (used *)
Sebastian Schoburgh * (on 46)
Tom Fagg * (on 73)
Danny Lye * (on 66)
Nick Luen (gk)
Josh Woolley

Brad Morgan
Tommy Osborne
Ben Healy
Joe Matthews
Brad Potter
Lee Craig
Warren Whitely (off 73)
Jimmy Roberts
Paul Gross
Bryon Walker (off 58)
Greg Benbow

Substitutes (used *)
Jordan Sandiford
Connor Dobson * (on 73)
Ryan Sawyer
Alex Chambers * (on 58)
John Wawrzewski

Attendance: 85

Ashford enjoyed sweet revenge over Cray Valley Paper Mills by producing an outstanding all-round team display and romp emphatically to a 5-0 victory at Badgers Sports, Eltham in the Southern Counties East League.

The Millers have been somewhat of a bogey side for Ashford, having completed the league double over them last season, before recording a 5-1 win in the FA Cup back in August. That match – just the second of the season – ultimately ended the 171 match tenure of Manager Paul Chambers at the helm, before Danny Lye took over the reins shortly afterwards.

There has been much overhauling of the side by Lye since then, but Ashford are just starting to click and having scored three last week at Sevenoaks Town in the Senior Trophy, went two better and in truth it could have been many more.

The tone was set right from the kick-off, when after just 15 seconds Shaun Welford stabbed one inches past the post after Ellis Green pinged in a great cross, which Paul Booth had deftly flicked through to the on-form striker.

The latter then opened the scoring after 11 minutes, when a deep corner-kick from Chris Elliott was guided onto Booth who lurking at the far post converted from close range.

The home side then had keeper Brad Morgan to thank as he stood firm to twice prevent the lead from increasing, Welford on another afternoon, could easily have bagged a first half hat-trick.

The Millers were barely in the contest, although George Kamurasi stood firm to deny Paul Gross, before having to react shortly afterwards to palm the ball away from Joe Matthews.

However such was the form of the team in-front of the visiting custodian, that he had little to do, Adam Cuthbert typifying the display with a perfectly timed sliding tackle on Greg Benbow moments later.

Even without the unavailable Pat Kingwell, there was no place in the squad for watching Gibraltar International player Jamie Bosio, such is the competition for places at present.

The lead was doubled after 27 minutes, when Michael Phillips picked out Ellis Green with a cross field pass. The ball though should have been routinely cut out by Ben Healey, but the home number three, who endured a torrid afternoon, saw the ball fall to Green who ran clear before drilling home low and hard from just outside the box.

The Millers, who were overrun in every department, just had no answer to the pace and movement of the rampant visitors and with Ryan Palmer in the thick of the action on the left-hand side, the shell-shocked home back four were left chasing shadows.

United thought they had added a third through Booth, but the goal was ruled out as offside, before a swift counter-attack saw Palmer ease up field to get onto the end of a cross from Green only to see Morgan thwart him with a fine save.

The overworked home keeper then again denied Welford, before Green and a buzzing Phillips combined to set up Welford, whose neat finish a minute before the interval made it 3-0.

Welford made it a quick fire double on 47 minutes as a fourth was added, the 36-year old showing all his experience to coolly slot home past the advancing Morgan, after the chance had been created by Booth.

Ashford were in no mood to take their foot of the gas, despite Green departing at half-time, Sebastian Schoburgh his replacement was in equally outstanding form, only being denied by a combination of the woodwork and Morgan which prevented a fifth goal.

Mikey Dalton dipped a decent shot just wide, Palmer then warmed the hands of Morgan with fine strike, before five minutes from time the nap hand was completed courtesy of a first goal for United for young substitute Tom Fagg, who fired home after latching onto a loose ball from Schoburgh.

The misery for the Millers was complete when Adam Cuthbert cleared Brad Potter’s on target effort off the line, then Kamurasi produced a point blank save in stoppage time to deny Alex Chambers and ensure his second clean sheet.

It was an outstanding five-star performance from the Nuts & Bolts who will be keen to keep the momentum going when Sevenoaks Town visit the Homelands, just a fortnight after being beaten 3-0 in the Kent Senior Trophy.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall