Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Chipstead 30/8/14 Lost 0-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 30th August 2014

United unfortunate to bow out of FA Cup after spot-kick settles tie

Match Stats

Date: Sat 30 Aug 2014

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: FA Cup

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 0-1

Score (HT): 0-0

Referee: G Hamilton

Assistants: C Hamilton & G Lucas


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Joe Mant
Luke Cuthbert
Ollie Finch (off 58)
Lee Winfield
Liam Walsh
Pat Kingwell
Gary Clarke
Adam Cuthbert
Keiran Byrne (off 80)
Tom Scorer
Gary Mickelborough (off 68)

Substitutes (used *)
Keelan Mooney
Michael Smissen * (on 58)
Jordan Hill * (on 68)
Lee Blackman * (on 80)
Roy Guiver
Jordan Harris
Harry Stow

Scott Millar
Devon Williams (off 83)
Joel Jacobs
Ben Dyatt
Steve Bentancourt
Jack Buckle
Dan Llacer
Mark McCloud
Will Turl
Josh Gallagher (off 28)
Robert Webbe

Substitutes (used *)
Asa Rixon-Nicholls
Alec Brown
Sam Charles * (on 83)
Jordan Berry * (on 28)

Attendance: 219

Ashford United, were unfortunate to bow out of the FA Cup at home to Chipstead, with the only goal in the preliminary round tie coming from the penalty spot. On top of which, they found the back of the net, only to see the officials somehow over-rule the goal, as they battled gamely to force a replay, proving more than a match for their higher ranked opponents. But in the end, the solitary spot-kick was enough to see for the Surrey visitors extend their winning start to the season to six matches.

For the second year running at this stage of the competition, United were drawn to play against the early leaders of the Isthmian League (Ryman) South and having been seen off last term by the runaway champions Peacehaven & Telscombe 4-0, were keen to put up a better fight this time round. And that they certainly did, giving Chipstead much to think about throughout the 90 minutes in an evenly fought and fast flowing game of football.

The action commenced when FA Cup hero Gary Mickelborough flew down the wing only to see a well hit shot blocked on 13 minutes by Scott Millar in the Chips goal. Chipstead though were always dangerous on the attack and five minutes later Will Turl should having given them the lead and although it was a tight angle, his header merely travelled sideways across the goalmouth instead of towards the goal.

Ashford had to be alert to the good movement from the visitors, but with Pat Kingwell & Liam Walsh standing firm, they were restricted to mainly speculative efforts at goal. One such strike came from Josh Gallagher on 27 minutes, which Joe Mant did well to tip over the crossbar, however in making the shot, Gallagher appeared to tweak his hamstring and limped off to be replaced by Jordan Berry.

As the first-half wore on, Tom Scorer turned well only to shoot well wide, then Mant saved his side after a miscued clearance from Luke Cuthbert almost presented the visitors a shy at goal. Just before the break a good build up ended with Scorer scuffing a shot just wide of the post with Millar static.

Ashford had the worst possible start to the second-half when Ollie Finch clashed with Dan Llacer, which the referee deemed worthy of a penalty, which was then comfortably dispatched by Turl with the clock reading 48 minutes played. Nine minutes later, Finch collected his fourth yellow card of the campaign and so Manager Paul Chambers made the sensible decision to replace him with Michael Smissen.

The skill and guile of the experienced Smissen aided Ashford’s attacking instincts as they started to play some of their best football of the season thus far, Gary Clarke then shooting just wide of the target following some great movement. It was also good to see the younger legs of the lively Jordan Hill appear off the bench, for his first appearance since starting against Corinthian on 26 March.

With 15 minutes remaining, Keiran Byrne delivered a perfect ball into the box which saw Smissen peel away from his marker to connect with a header which agonisingly looped over the crossbar. However four minutes later Ashford were aggrieved when they found the net, only to see the goal chalked off.

Tom Scorer pumped in a cross which Millar made a complete hash of and as he fell to the ground with two defenders and Smissen in close proximity, could only watch in horror as the cross from Scorer bounced over the line for the equaliser, or so it seemed. Sadly for Ashford, the assistant referee flagged for what he thought was an infringement on the keeper, but in truth Millar looked very sheepish and red faced when he saw his blushes saved by the flagging assistant

With five minutes left, Scorer sent a rasping shot towards goal, which fizzed over the bar, with Millar again well beaten and then the tricky Hill picked up a loose ball to dip a shot over the bar once more as the game entered stoppage time.

Chipstead were delighted when the whistle finally blew and having been encamped in their own quarter throughout the second period, one can only admire their resolute defending and wish them well in the next round and also in their bid for promotion to the premier division.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall