Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

Canterbury City 25/8/14 Drew 1-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 25th August 2014

Ashford grateful for small mercies

Match Stats

Date: Mon 25 Aug 2014

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 1-1

Score (HT): 0-1

Referee: Adam Street

Assistants: Don Macleod & Tom Chivilo


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Joe Mant
Luke Cuthbert
Phillip Leonard
James Everitt
Tom Scorer (off 69)
Pat Kingwell
Gary Clarke
Adam Cuthbert
Keiran Byrne
Gary Mickelborough (off 46)
Keelan Mooney (off 77)

Substitutes (used *)
Ollie Finch * (on 69)
Liam Walsh
Lee Winfield * (on 46)
Paul Chambers * (on 77)
Jordan Hill

Roddy Hayward
Lewis Bennett
Sam Kettle
Nick Blackman
Ben Gorham
Kane Hemmings (off 46)
Alex Kendall
Steven Baines
Dan Gonzalez-Bello
Dan Lawrence
Chris Lewis

Substitutes (used *)
Chevan Xavier * (on 46)
Dan Shearing
Scott Crane
Sam Baker

Attendance: 184

Ashford United will be grateful to have collected a point from their landlords versus tenants clash, after a battle with Canterbury City played in atrocious conditions at the Homelands, on a miserable August Bank Holiday afternoon.

That the game reached a conclusion, was down to Referee Adam Street, who along with the two sets of players performed admirably, despite areas of surface water lying from the outset, which got steadily worse throughout the 90 minutes.

The United equaliser though had more than a touch of fortune about it after City keeper Roddy Hayward, missed catching a ball pumped into the box from substitute Ollie Finch in the 79th minute to gift Ashford a share of the points.

Canterbury City seemed to adapt to the conditions the better of the two sides and having survived a scare when Lewis Bennett cleared off the line from a powerful Tom Scorer shot, they then went on the attack to score the opening goal.

A breakaway move saw them win a corner after Joe Mant had saved well from Chris Lewis via the aid of the post, but the resultant corner kick caused panic in the box, rebounding back to Steven Baines who finished with some relish to put the visitors one in front.

City always looked the more threatening and twice Scorer had to be alert to clear the ball away, once with his feet, along with the aid of a big puddle, which the ball stopped in, then later with his head to avert the danger, as Chris Lewis homed in on goal.

Having been lack lustre in the first period, United introduced Lee Winfield to try and give the side a bit more bite and this seem spark them into life. Byrne was unlucky to see a rifled right foot shot blocked, then shortly afterwards Scorer with a surging run fired just over the crossbar.

A couple of minutes later Gary Clarke picked up a yellow card for the home side, although the Referees soggy notebook saw six players added to it from the City side.

A brave piece of keeping then saw Hayward smoother at the feet of the onrushing James Everitt to keep the lead intact as the rain increased from heavy to torrential, making the conditions even more of a lottery.

A last throw of the die, saw United Manager Paul Chambers enter the fray and his presence up front seemed to unsettle the Canterbury defence. Within two minutes of him coming on the scores were level although when Finch sent the ball into the box from just inside the halfway line, there looked little danger, but Hayward was in desperation as he could only glance the ball into the net.

The closing stages were end to end stuff and Mant had to be alert to thwart Dan Gonzalez-Bello after the striker looked set to give City the points, as the final chance of the match went begging.

Match Reporter Kevin Hall