Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

7/3/17 Erith Town Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 8th March 2017

Dozen wins on the bounce as Dockers sunk by four goal United

Match Stats

Date: Tue 7 Mar 2017

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 1-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Adrian Stone (35), Shaun Welford (47[pen]), Jason Goodchild (48), David Botterill (58)

Goalscorers (Erith Town): Jack Mahon (77[pen])

Referee: Paul Agboola

Assistants: Andy Butler & Danny Roberts


Yellow Cards: George Savage (65)

Red Cards: Frazer Walker (76)

Erith Town:
Yellow Cards: Ryan Mascharenhas (20), Bradley Simms (66)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Frazer Walker
David Botterill
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Jason Goodchild
Ben Davisson (off 66)
Shaun Welford
Adrian Stone (off 82)
Rory Hill


Luke Eldridge (on 66)
Ryan Palmer
Danny Lye
Dan Stubbs
Brett Ince (on 82)

Erith Town

Rilwan Anibaba
Ryan Mascharenhas
Bradley Simms
Chris Michael
Jack Clark
Lee Coburn
Nathan Palmer
James Hawkins
Quentin Conteh
Leithan Brima (off 49)
Osman Proni (off 58)


Olakuna Gilwa (on 49)
Ian Jenkins
Jack Mahon (on 58)
Lugman Adesina

Attendance: 170

Four goals in 23 minutes, including two in the space of 78 seconds immediately after half-time, helped Ashford United to victory over Erith Town to keep the side top of the table.

The goals in the 4-1 win were the highlight of the evening, which again came at a cost after Frazer Walker was sent off, before Erith scored from the penalty spot 13 minutes from time.

Adrian Stone went close on a couple of occasions it was though the visitors who should have taken the lead through Nathan Palmer.

A fast counter-attack ended with George Kamurasi standing firm to deny the Dockers number seven, then the same player combined with Osman Proni, but with the goal in sight they fluffed their lines.

Rory Hill then had the best chance so far for United, heading narrowly over the bar from David Botterill’s inch perfect cross.

United pressed forward again, but were guilty of trying to be too clever and looking to walk the ball into the net instead of having a go from range.

Rilwan Anibaba dived bravely at the feet of Stone, but could do little to prevent Stone’s ninth of the season when he volleyed home from 12-yards in the 35th minute, which was enough to give the hosts a 1-0 interval lead.

In a pulsating start to the second-half, Danny Lye’s promotion hopefuls then added two goals within the space of two minutes and 28 seconds of the re-start.

George Savage – returning after a four match suspension – won the ball before finding Shaun Welford, but as the striker surged into the box an agricultural challenge by Lee Coburn sent Welford tumbling.

Referee Paul Agboola pointed to the spot with only 15 seconds gone of the second period for the most clear cut penalty you are ever likely to see, but remarkably Coburn – 45 appearances for United – wasn’t shown a card of any colour.

Welford then dusted himself down before blasting home the spot kick 70 seconds into the half for his 36th goal of the campaign.

Almost immediately Hill was unlucky to see a shot from 25-yards out strike the crossbar, but with the ball still live Jason Goodchild followed up from a similar distance to fire the Nuts & Bolts into a three goal lead, with just two minutes and 28 seconds played since the interval.

The goals were just the fillip Ashford needed, Hill was then denied by the woodwork for a second time when he struck the outside of the post from the edge of the box.

With the outstanding Botterill dictating play in midfield, opportunities continued to come for the home side, with Anibaba brilliantly tipping a close-range volley from Welford up and over the crossbar.

Botterill then capped a fine performance, finishing off a good move with the outside of his right boot into the top right-hand corner for 4-0 in the 58th minute.

Goal hungry United who have now scored four or more goals in a match 16 times this season, looked odds-on to add to the tally, but seemed to ease their foot off the peddle as the game entered a scrappy period of play.

The visitors had a number of chances for a consolation and did score after the ball pinged around in the box and with Ashford failing to clear their lines Mr Agboola awarded his second penalty of the evening.

To make matters worse Walker was shown a straight red card – Ashford’s ninth of the season – presumably for his denial of a goal with the use of a hand. Although Kamurasi guessed correctly substitute Jack Mahon then scored the spot-kick, with the ball squeezing in via the post.

As the game drew to a close, it was the Dockers who had a further three good chances, but Stuart West and Pat Kingwell made sure that United didn’t concede again.

Danny Lye will no doubt be pleased with the three points, but concerned that United seemed to switch off once the game was won.

The win extends the lead at the top of Southern Counties East League table to four points over Crowborough Athletic. The Crows however have played two games less, so it would be useful if they could consider dropping some as the season continues.

Match Photo Courtesy of Ian Scammell Oyster Bay Photography