Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

6/12/16 Whitstable Town Won 4-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 6th December 2016

United return to top after Whitstable beaten 4-2 at the Homelands

Match Stats

Date: Tue 6 Dec 2016

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-2

Score (HT): 1-1

Goalscorers (Ashford): Shaun Welford (13, 78[pen]), Rory Hill (56), Luke Eldridge (89)

Goalscorers (Whitstable Town): To be confirmed

Referee: Paul Greenfield

Assistants: Jamie Eacott & Dan Friar


Yellow Cards: Stuart West (54)

Red Cards: None

Whitstable Town:
Yellow Cards: Kane Rowland (34) + others

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage (off 61)
Frazer Walker
David Botterill
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford
Luke Miller (off 70)
Rory Hill


Luke Eldridge * (on 70)
Micky Phillips * (on 61)
Danny Lye
Adrian Stone
Owen Mcleod (gk)

Whitstable Town

Dan Eason
Scott Punton
Harry Brown
Ashley Brown
Rob Gillman (off 67)
Ollie Lee
Connor Hood
Jack Mahoney
Craig Thompson
Darren Marsden
Kane Rowland


Charlie Smith * (on 67)
Aaron Quain
Brendon Cass
Harry Brooks (gk)

Attendance: 211

Ashford United returned to the top of the Southern Counties East table for a fifth time this season, after an exciting and at times feisty encounter, saw them get the better of Whitstable Town by a margin of 4-2.

On a misty murky evening Shaun Welford gave the hosts a 13th minute lead, firing home from the edge of the box past former United keeper Dan Eason.

However in a cagey opening period the visitors drew level two minutes before the break when Kane Rowland found space before slotting home past the outstretched hand of George Kamurasi.

Things livened up considerably in the second-half after the Oystermen took the lead thanks to a volley which went in off the crossbar from Ollie Lee in the 52nd minute.

The response from the hosts after going behind was superb going immediately on the attack however Eason was lucky to escape without a card, after taking out diminutive striker Luke Miller on the edge of the box.

Ashford found the net from the resultant free-kick but the goal was disallowed, but shortly afterwards Rory Hill fired home to restore parity.

The visitors then thought they had re-taken the lead, but this time they were aggrieved to see the goal chalked off for an infringement.

It was now end to end stuff with one or two over zealous tackles being thrown in for good measure which saw more yellow cards shown.

Welford then dusted himself down after being fouled inside the box to fire Ashford into the lead with 12 minutes remaining from the penalty spot, to make it seven goals in four matches for the leading scorer.

Ryan Palmer who was once again outstanding set up Luke Eldridge as Ashford looked for the killer goal, whilst Hill also went close.

Then with a minute left, Eldridge made certain with a good finish to make the final score 4-2 to the Nuts & Bolts.