Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

28/1/17 Beckenham Town Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 29th January 2017

Second half goal blitz sees United back on top

Match Stats

Date: Sat 28 Jan 2017

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 0-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Jason Goodchild (56, 62), Shaun Welford (66, 88)

Goalscorers (Beckenham Town): Aziz Kanu (90+4 pen)

Referee: Joe Kasper

Assistants: Joseph Dann-Pye & Jamie Eacott


Yellow Cards: Stuart West (70)

Red Cards: None

Beckenham Town:
Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Frazer Walker
David Botterill
Ryan James (off 46)
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer (off 82)
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford
Jason Goodchild
Rory Hill (off 57)


Clark Woodcock
Adrian Stone (on 57)
Brett Ince
Stuart West (on 46)
Tom Fagg (on 82)

Beckenham Town

Morgan Bradley
Kempton (off 67)
Andrew Whorms
Jack Hope
Gassimu Jalloh
Aziz Kanu
Chan Quan
Adamu Warity
Lekan Bakare (off 71)
Richmond Kissi
Alex Arif


To be confirmed

Attendance: 199

Ashford United once again top the Southern Counties East table, after two goals apiece from Jason Goodchild & Shaun Welford, helped the side secure a 4-1 victory over struggling Beckenham Town at the Homelands.

With the days leaders Crowborough Athletic involved in FA Vase action – and ultimately getting knocked out – Ashford seized the opportunity to go above the Crows for a seventh time so far. They had to be patience though against an obdurate opponent with all the goals coming in the second-half.

The first-half produced little goal-mouth action, with the hosts very much frustrated by some solid defending by the Becks. The visitors though probably had the better of the chances, with Chan Quan firing over the bar, whilst George Kamurasi denied Richmond Kissi, after he had beaten the offside trap.

Ashford lacked their normal cohesion in the opening 45 minutes, although just before the break Rory Hill headed narrowly wide of the target.

Normal service though was resumed after the half-time cup of tea, when United took the lead after 56 minutes through Goodchild and from that point there was only ever going to be one winner. The recent signing from Phoenix Sports firing home a nod down from Welford, after the top scorer had been picked out at the far post by a pinpoint Ryan Palmer cross.

The lead was doubled six minutes later when Goodchild made it a quick fire brace, a stunning volley from six-yards out giving Morgan Bradley no chance in the Becks goal.

The sustained period of pressure by the Nuts & Bolts proved telling, when Palmer combined with Welford, as the latter slipped the ball past Bradley in the 66th minute to make it three.

Substitute Stuart West – who replaced Ryan James at the break – continued the normal theme, by picking up his customary yellow-card for a clumsy challenge with 20 minutes remaining.

A brief flurry by the lowly visitors saw Chan glance the post from long range, before Adrian Stone saw a header saved by Morgan as the hosts searched for more goals.

Then with two minutes remaining a header from Stone set up Welford, who made it 4-0 when he guided the ball with his left foot into the right-hand corner.

The goal took the big Geordie striker to 30 goals for the season in his 27th appearance, thus keeping him still very much in with a chance of bettering Stuart Zanone’s 47-goal record of season 2014-15.

With 90 minutes gone and in very gloomy conditions the floodlights were finally turned on, but that wasn’t the last action of the game as generous Ashford gifted a goal away, when Aziz Kanu scored with a penalty in the fourth added minute.

The late spot-kick completed the scoring at 4-1, to make it the fourth consecutive game that Ashford have won by that margin, which must be a record for that sequence of results.

United could well be second by the time of their next league clash, as they don’t play until Sunday when the travel to Erith and Belvedere. Before that on Tuesday evening they are also on the road with a visit to in-form Whitstable Town to play in the twice postponed Kent Senior Trophy quarter-final tie.