Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

29/8/16 Sheppey United Lost 1-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 29th August 2016

Winning run ended as Sheppey strike in stoppage time to stun the Nuts & Bolts

Match Stats

Date: Mon 29 Aug 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 1-2

Score (HT): 1-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Shaun Welford (20)

Goalscorers (Sheppey United): Timmy Babbington (53), James Simmonds (90+5)

Referee: Joe Stokes

Assistants: Steve Joyce & Ollie Smith


Yellow Cards: Rory Hill (83), Tom Michelson (90+2)

Red Cards: None

Sheppey United:
Yellow Cards: John Ralph (90+7)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Charlie Dickens
Tom Michelson
Stuart West
Michael Phillips
Ryan Palmer (off 85)
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford (off 85)
Luke Eldridge (off 76)
Rory Hill


Josh Woolley
Tom Fagg (on 85)
Paul Booth (on 85)
Brett Ince (on 76)
Mikey Dalton

Sheppey United

Dean Warford
Marvin Okundalia
Joseph Forham
Rob Saunders
John Ralph
James Huggins (off 75)
Enoch Adjei (off 75)
Bryan Bell (off 52)
Matthew Gething
Ian Batten
Timmy Babbington


George Batten (on 75)
Carl Harrold (on 75)
James Simmonds (on 52)
Sam Winch
Brendon Owusu-Ansah

Attendance: 306

It was bank holiday blues for Ashford United at home to Sheppey United, with the visitors striking in stoppage time to bag the points with a 2-1 win, as the hosts had their colours lowered for the first time this season.

It was a disappointing below par performance from the Nuts & Bolts, who were unable to hold the 1-0 half-time lead, which came courtesy of Shaun Welford’s tap-in on 20 minutes, following a mistake by goalkeeper Dean Warford.

The Islanders proving why they are likely to be battling along with a number of clubs – including Ashford – for the Premier Division title come April. The hosts certainly struggled to breakdown a resolute Sheppey defence, well marshalled by former Ashford Town player John Ralph.

Michael Phillips curled a free-kick just wide of the target in the opening minute with Ashford quickly off the starting-blocks. Ryan Palmer and Rory Hill then went close for United, before Matthew Gething headed over the crossbar for the visitors, following a neat cross from Timmy Babbington.

Babbington always looked a threat and was behind all of the best moves that Sheppey created, but it was the home side who then took the lead after Warford, under pressure from Hill spilt the ball. Hill then squaring to Welford, who was on hand to convert the simply chance, from just a few inches out

Warford who had proved the hero for Sheppey when the sides last meet in the final of the Kent Senior Trophy back in April, looked decidedly shaky throughout the afternoon, but disappointingly Ashford didn’t make the most of his off day.

Babbington missed a good opening for Sheppey then George Savage tested the keeper, as Ashford searched for a second goal.

George Kamurasi – in contrast to his opposite number – had a quite brilliant game again between the sticks, three times coming to the rescue just before the half-time break.

Babbington being denied by fine saves on two separate occasions, whilst Kamurasi showed his alertness to head the ball away on the edge of the box under pressure from Gething. It is little wonder that the visitors number nine looked dazed and confused after his collision with the big man.

Sheppey equalised early in the second-half, following a lengthy stoppage in play – which saw Bryan Bell stretchered-off, Babbington finishing well with Ashford caught napping in defence after 53 minutes.

Ashford had appeals for a goal, when a tamely hit ball into the six-yard box by Charlie Dickens was fumbled by the hapless Warford, who appeared to carry the ball over the line, but the referee waved away protests from the home players.

As the game wore on, Sheppey dominated the midfield and were fast on the break, Kamurasi – the busiest keeper – on hand to deny Gething after he was set-up by Enoch Adjei.

The Nuts & Bolts lacked any real composure in-front of goal, with no one prepared to shoot on sight, apart from Hill whose 71st minute flew narrowly wide.

Ashford came close to taking the lead in the 90th minute, when good work by the impressive Ben Davisson, neatly found Phillips, but the curling shot just missed the target.

There were nearly 10 minutes of added time and with Ashford piling men forward, were caught on the break, when in the fifth added minute substitute James Simmonds converted to seal the points.

The Nuts & Bolts having started the day top of the table slipped to fifth after the defeat, now face difficult trips to Burgess Hill Town in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday, followed by visits to Lordswood and Corinthian in the league.