Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

26/11/16 Corinthian Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 27th November 2016

Palmer on fire as United romp to cup victory

Match Stats

Date: Sat 26 Nov 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Kent Senior Trophy

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 2-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Brett Ince (27), Shaun Welford (34, 56[pen]), Ryan Palmer (71)

Goalscorers (Corinthian): Louis Clark (79)

Referee: Joe Kasper

Assistants: Ian Cowell & Daniel Banich


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: Jamie Taylor (26), Joe Brown (55)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Frazer Walker
Tom Michelson
David Botterill
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford (off 64)
Brett Ince (off 74)
Rory Hill (off 64)


Micky Phillips
Luke Miller (on 64)
Adrian Stone (on 74)
Danny Lye
Luke Eldridge (on 64)


Joe Hagan
Joe Brown (off 58)
Jack Billings
Jamie Taylor (off 53)
Marcus Evans
Louis Pearce
Michael Hagan (off 46)
Josh James
Conor Johnson
Oscar Housego
Junior Alade


Adam Cooper (on 58)
Louis Clark (on 46)
Brima Daramy (on 53)
Billy Carter

Attendance: 235

Inspired by Ryan Palmer – who was back to his brilliant best – Ashford United romped to a 4-1 victory over Corinthian, to make comfortable progress to the quarter-finals of the Kent Reliance Kent Senior Trophy at the Homelands.

The game was all over by the time Palmer’s superb 71st minute strike, added to the goals already scored by Brett Ince and Shaun Welford’s brace, as United recorded an identical victory margin to that achieved at Gravesham Borough at the same second round stage of the competition 12 months earlier.

In goal George Kamurasi – making his 50th appearance for the side – was virtually a first-half spectator as United launched attack after attack.

Rory Hill twice went close in the early stages, forcing Joe Hagan into a good save in the second minute, before his almost perfect ninth minute curling free kick glanced the outside of the post.

Ince then found space in front of goal, but didn’t know whether to stick or twist as the ball got tangled up his feet, with only the keeper to beat. The former Tunbridge Wells striker then saw a volley deflected out for a corner after being picked out by the outstanding Palmer.

Welford headed over the crossbar, before Ince tried his luck with a sublime chip which floated just inches over the crossbar as Ashford again went close to scoring.

It certainly came as little surprise when the Nuts & Bolts opened the scoring after 27 minutes, when Ince volleyed home – for his sixth goal of the season – from 15-yards, after he and Palmer had combined well to create the opportunity.

Even before the faulty PA system had managed to announce the scorer (does anyone know an electrician?), Ashford almost scored again as Hill tried his luck, but Hagan was equal to the task.

Seven minutes later the lead was doubled by Welford, although if the dubious goals panel were present, it would almost certainly go down as an own goal by Hoops keeper Hagan. Welford rose well at the far post to nod back a cross in the direction of the goal, but the keeper got in a complete muddle and could only to divert the ball into his own net.

Welford then quite unbelievably missed a sitter from barely five yards out, as he somehow spooned the ball over the crossbar, after a handling error from the dazed Hagan which fell right into the path of the United top scorer.

Hagan though redeemed himself when he advanced well to the edge of his box to thwart Welford who had beaten the offside trap. Then just before the break Welford headed just wide, before Hill flashed a shot off target.

Welford though made it three, when he rifled home a 56th penalty, following a handball inside the area by Joe Brown.

Palmer who had tormented the shell shocked Hoops defence all afternoon then capped a wonderful display with a virtuoso strike to make it four for Ashford 19 minutes from time. Picking the ball up just outside the box, the live wire number seven skilfully transferred the ball from his left to right foot, before curling a 20-yard shot into the bottom right hand corner for one of the goals of the season.

Corinthian gained a consolation goal after 79 minutes when substitute Louis Clark fired past Kamurasi to at least give the visitors something to cheer.

It was in the end a straight forward passage into the quarter-finals for the home side as the Hoops were beaten by the hosts for a third time this season.