Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

2/12/17 Thamesmead Town Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 4th December 2017

Watters hat-trick fires United to victory

Match Stats

Date: Sat 2 Dec 2017

Kick Off: 3:00pm

Match Type: Isthmian League South

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 2-1

Goalscorers (Ashford): Ira Jackson (3), Max Watters (22,70,73)

Goalscorers (Thamesmead Town): Danny Parish (11)

Referee: Jack Fagg

Assistants: Paul Agboola & Piotr Zachwieja


Yellow Cards: Tommy Cooney (53)

Red Cards: None

Thamesmead Town:
Yellow Cards: Jack McIntyre (77), Danny Parish (78), Laurent Mendy (90)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Aaron Lee-Wharton
Cheick Toure
Tommy Cooney
James Fitchett
Joe Bingham
Ryan Richeford
Max Watters
Brandon Williams (off 64)
Andrew Dalhouse (off 79)
Rodhell Gordon (off 77)
Ira Jackson


Clark Woodcock
Kwabena Osei * (on 77)
Frazer Walker * (on 64)
Ebun Odubonojo
Matt Day * (on 79)

Thamesmead Town

Lewis Carey
Harvey Brand (off 46)
Lennie Laker (off 46)
Bode Anidugbe
Richard Avery
Jack McIntyre
Ellis Green
Tom O’Connor
Richard Paquette (off 67)
Danny Parish
Laurent Mendy


Scott Kinch * (on 46)
Paul Vines * (on 67)
Raphael Duyile * (on 46)
Max Ovenden

Attendance: 202

Max Watters became the youngest Ashford United player to bag a hat-trick as the hosts picked up their first league win in 13 games.

The victory brought to an end a barren run that had seen only two points gained out of a possible 36 following the 3-0 victory over Guernsey back in late September.

But thanks to England Schoolboy International Watters, the winless streak came to an end in emphatic style with a resounding 4-1 victory at the Homelands over Thamesmead Town, to at last give the home supporters something to cheer.

Manager Jason Whitmore has used a plethora of players since taking over two games into the season, but for a welcome change the latest batch of signings are proving worthwhile, with all playing their part in a well deserved victory.

United had the perfect start thanks to Ira Jackson’s third minute strike after he had been nicely teed up by the outstanding Watters down the right-wing.

The early opener though was cancelled out eight minutes later when an unmarked Danny Parish rose well to draw Tommy Warrilow’s mid-table team back level.

In an entertaining opening first 45 minutes both sides had chances to add to the goals, with Aaron Lee-Wharton saving well at the feet of Laurent Mendy, who twisted well before shooting at goal from an acute angle. Meanwhile Andrew Dalhouse who is a real handful for defenders, stretched but couldn’t get enough purchase on the ball, after getting onto the end of a dangerous Jackson cross at the far post.

But the hosts did take the lead in the 22nd minute with Jackson picking out Watters with a slide rule pass into the box. Watters then peeled off one defender before rounding the keeper to coolly find the net with his left foot.

The visitors responded with James Fitchett in the right place to clear a goalbound effort from Tom O’Connor away from danger, before former United player Ellis Green missed the target with a free header from close-range. Then just before the break Lee-Wharton was tested by a header from Richard Paquette, but he proved equal to the task.

The visitors continued to press forward with the dangerous Parish working the home keeper after Green had picked him out with a pin point cross.

But man of the match Watters ensured the points would go to the Nuts & Bolts when he completed his hat-trick with two goals inside the space of three second-half minutes to stun the Mead.

Watters, scored six times for Barking in 15 appearances last season, but probably has never hit a ball sweeter than the strike which made the score 3-1 with twenty minutes remaining.

Running onto a ball over the top, he waited before connecting on the half-volley from 25-yards out to fire beyond Lewis Carey for a strong contender for goal of the season.

The treble was completed shortly afterwards when he volleyed home from the edge of the six-yard box following good work and a terrific left-wing cross from another newbie Rodhell Gordon, who looks a worthy acquisition.

Watters almost made it 5-1 in stoppage time but this time Carey saved with his feet to deny him a personal haul of four.

United face a tough challenge next weekend when they travel to the Dripping Pan to face league leaders Lewes.