Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

17/1/17 Corinthian Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 18th January 2017

Outstanding goals ensure Ashford win on freezing night at the Homelands

Match Stats

Date: Tue 17 Jan 2017

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 3-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Rory Hill (18), Ben Davissson (20), Jason Goodchild (41), Tom Fagg (86)

Goalscorers (Corinthian): Louis Clarke (55)

Referee: Simon Cutler

Assistants: Danny Roberts & Andy Butler


Yellow Cards: Shaun Welford (88)

Red Cards: Marcus Evans (58), Sam Groombridge (78)

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Ryan James (off 49)
David Botterill
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer (off 70)
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford (off 90+1)
Jason Goodchild
Rory Hill


Frazer Walker (on 49)
Tom Fagg (on 70)
Brett Ince (on 90+1)
Adrian Stone
Danny Lye


Joe Hagan
Adam Cooper
Ryan Styles
Jack Bath
Marcus Evans
Sam Groombridge
Mike Hagan (off 56)
Jamie Billings
Brima Daramy (off 56)
Louis Clarke
Junior Alade (off 85)


Joe Brown (on 85)
Conor Johnson (on 56)
Oscar Housego (on 56)
Josh James

Attendance: 160

Ashford made it four straight wins over Corinthian this season to continue their dominance in the fixture between the pair, having already beaten the visitors in the league & twice in cup encounters earlier in the season.

The 4-1 win – the third such result for United in eight days – helps take the side back to the top of the Southern Counties East League table for a sixth time, although Crowborough have the chance to resume top spot with a match 24 hours later.

The result didn’t quite reflect the play over the 90 minutes as Corinthian looked dangerous from the outset, but lacked the necessary composure in front of goal, having gone behind to three well taken goals before half-time.

In the opening minute of a freezing night at the Homelands, George Kamurasi did well to peddle back and tip a dipping shot from Jamie Billings over the crossbar.

United then took the lead in the 18th minute when Rory Hill latched onto a loose ball to unleash an unstoppable shot into the net from a wide angle, for his 15th goal of an increasingly outstanding season.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled through Ben Davisson, who found the top right corner of the goal with an exquisite left footed effort from the edge of the box.

A good attack by the visitors down the left side saw Mike Hagan chose the wrong option by shooting, despite two unmarked players better placed inside the box.

Shaun Welford – who for once failed to score – was twice denied in the space of a matter of seconds, but was on hand to set up Jason Goodchild who opened his account with the third goal after 41 minutes. Goodchild, who has impressed since joining the club making it 3-0 with a fine strike into the bottom corner, past the outstretched right-hand of keeper Joe Hagan.

As the half drew to a close, Kamurasi produced a good save to deny Jack Bath, whilst Ryan Palmer was thwarted by keeper Hagan at the other end.

The home side were thankful to Kamurasi right at the start of the second period when he was alert to stop a well struck effort from Junior Alade. Corinthian though pulled a goal back after 55 minutes through Louis Clarke to remind the home side that the game wasn’t yet over.

The goal allowed the visitors to grow into the contest as they rallied and Ashford had to survive several anxious moments, whilst the home side started to lose control of the midfield.

Twice Ashford wasted free-kick opportunities with Hill and David Botterill the guilty parties, the visitors then struck the foot of the post and Kamurasi then produced another good save.

Welford finally beat the offside trap, but Hagan raced well from his line to deny the 28 goal top scorer, who moments later fired narrowly too high.

The hardy 160 brave souls who had turned out despite the mercury reading minus three were rewarded when substitute Tom Fagg completed the scoring at 4-1 with four minutes remaining. It was a good connection from the edge of the box, but one which Hagan got two hands on and should probably have saved, but no one really cared and in the end it ensured another three points.

Photo used courtesy of Ian Scammell (Oyster Bay Photography)