Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

16/12/17 Horsham Lost 1-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 18th December 2017

United fade after early goal

Match Stats

Date: Sat 16 Dec 2017

Kick Off: 3:00pm

Match Type: Isthmian League South

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 1-2

Score (HT): 1-2

Goalscorers (Ashford): Shomari Barnwell (12)

Goalscorers (Horsham): Jack Hartley (15), Lewis Hyde (27)

Referee: James Hurst

Assistants: Christopher Price & Nicholas Fruin


Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Michael McEntegart
Arinse Uade (off 46)
Tommy Cooney
Ryan Richeford
James Fitchett
Cheick Toure
George McLennan
Joe Bingham
Shomari Barnwell
Rodhell Gordon
Ira Jackson


Andrew Dalhouse
Matt Day
Jon Difford
Max Watters * (on 46)
Reece Simpson


Brannon Daly
Matt Axell
Lewis Hyde
Jack Hartley (off 90+2)
Joe Shelley
Charlie Farmer
Tony Nwachukwu (off 76)
Scott Kirkwood
Toby House (off 64)
Matt Boiling (12)
Steve Metcalf (20)


Dean Brown (10)
Darren Boswell (11) * (on 76)
Josh Street * (on 90+2)
Curtis Gaylor
Liam MacDevitt * (on 64)

Attendance: 201

Despite yet more new arrivals to the side Ashford United’s woes continued as they slipped to another defeat, as Horsham recorded their fifth 2-1 league victory of the season.

The hosts with only thee league victories and just one win since late September did though take the league when debutant Shomari Barnwell turned well outside the box to fire home in the 12th minute.

That though was about as good as it got as the visitors quickly wrestled the initiative back their way, with Jack Hartley finding the bottom left-hand corner with a sweet left foot strike three minutes later.

The dangerous Hartley then struck the crossbar with a fierce strike, although it did appear that debutant Michael McEntegart had pulled off a great save to finger-tip the ball onto the bar, only for the referee to signal a goal-kick.

Then on 27 minutes the Hornets took the lead when an unmarked Lewis Hyde rose at the far post to nod home from an acute angle.

Looking to increase the lead Scott Kirkwood narrowly missed the target, before an Ashford response saw Rodhell Gordon fire wide.

Visiting centre-forward Toby House had reason to be aggrieved when he found the net, but the goal was over-ruled for an offside infringement, this despite the ball pinging off an Ashford defender en-route to the goalscoring recipient.

Behind 1-2 at the break Jason Whitmore brought on recent hat-trick hero and the player most in-form Max Watters, who had surprisingly been left on the subs bench and not in the starting line-up.

This at last gave the side some impetus with Watters setting-up Jackson who warmed the hands of Brannon Daly with a decent effort two minutes after the re-start.

United though offered little going forward and with the home defence greatly missing Pat Kingwell, the Hornets threatened the most.

Mistakes at the back saw House go close on two occasions in quick succession firstly heading inches wide, before latching onto a loose ball to narrowly miss the target.

The hosts failed to make the most of a free-kick opportunity on the edge of the box when another of the new boys George McLennan fired tamely into the wall.

In a late flurry United won a couple of corners but were again wasteful when the chances arose by trying the rarely successful short corner routine.

Then in the dying embers with many fans already exiting the ground Joe Bingham tried his luck from long-range in the final opportunity of a match that won’t live long in the memory.

The defeat sees United remain firmly in 23rd position, eight points clear of basement side Shoreham but some six points adrift of East Grinstead & Molesley.

Next up for United is a trip to VCD Athletic on Saturday 23rd December, before hosting Sittingbourne on Boxing Day with a 1pm kick-off.