Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

14/1/17 Deal Town Won 4-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 15th January 2017

Dominate United prove too strong once again for Deal

Match Stats

Date: Sat 14 Jan 2017

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: The Charles Sports Ground

Score (FT): 4-1

Score (HT): 2-0

Goalscorers (Ashford): Pat Kingwell (20), Shaun Welford (37, 77), Ryan Palmer (90)

Goalscorers (Deal Town): Joe Anderson (62)

Referee: Joe McKay

Assistants: Sean Overbury & Ollie Smith


Yellow Cards: Rory Hill (15), Ryan Palmer (59)

Red Cards: None

Deal Town:
Yellow Cards: Luke Biggington (63)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage
Ryan James
David Botterill
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Luke Eldridge (off 54)
Jason Goodchild
Shaun Welford
Adrian Stone (off 67)
Rory Hill (off 80)


Ben Davisson
Tom Fagg
Micky Phillips (on 67)
Ryan Palmer (on 54)
Frazer Walker (on 80)

Deal Town

James Tonkin
Jack Paxman
Steve O’Brien
Dean Hill
Luke Biggington (off 69)
Liam Hark
Joe Reeves (off 73)
Joe Anderson
Connor Coyne
Dan Adams
Harry Alexander (off 62)


Carl Munday
Danny Smith (on 73)
Kristin Gregory (on 69)
Andy Miller (on 62)
Lee Scott

Attendance: 154

Ashford United in their first league match since the solitary goal defeat at Sheppey United on Boxing Day, ran out comfortable 4-1 winners at Deal Town, on a Sunny but cold day on the Kent coast.

The win continued the dominance of Ashford in this fixture, having won nine matches out of 10 against the Hoops, since the pair first met in August 2012 in an FA Cup clash.

The recent record though is somewhat of a goal fest for Ashford, having won 6-2 & 5-3 last season, whilst the 4-1 victory followed on from a 4-0 score at the Homelands in October.

The pitch certainly suited Ashford’s intricate passing game, as despite the recent heavy rain, snow and ice it was without doubt one of the best playing surfaces encountered thus far this campaign, having easily passed the obligatory early morning pitch inspection.

Having dominated from the start, it came as little surprise when the visitors opened the scoring in the 20th minute through Pat Kingwell. The tall central defender turning neatly to fire into the top right hand corner of the net for his second goal in as many games, after latching onto a long throw from Shaun Welford, a tactic that caused the hosts problems all afternoon.

Ryan James went close to doubling the lead in the 33rd minute, producing a mazy run into the box, but was denied by a good save from James Tonkin.

The score though became 2-0 after 37 minutes when James evaded his marker, before producing a pinpoint cross which found Welford whose deft glancing header proved too good for Tonkin.

James was always a threat with his marauding runs down the left side and just a minute before the break hit a wicked low cross into the danger area, Tonkin though did enough the prevent a third for the visitors.

The problems for Deal increased with the introduction off the bench of Ryan Palmer nine minutes into the second half, replacing youngster Luke Eldridge who was given another go in the starting line-up.

The home tactic on Palmer was quite straightforward and consisted of fouling the livewire substitute whenever he had the ball at his feet, ironically though it was Palmer who found his name in the book five minutes after coming on.

Deal then halved the deficit in the 62nd minute through Joe Anderson who fired home from what was the first on target effort of the match for the hosts.

Luke Biggington picked up a yellow card after bringing down Palmer in full flow, the resultant free-kick from James caused problems, but Adrian Stone was unable to find a connection as the ball eventually fell to safety.

Palmer threaded a neat through ball into the path of Welford, but the shot found the outside netting, whilst Dan Adams wasted a rare opportunity for Deal following a quick counter attack.

With 15 minutes remaining the Hoops were reduced to 10 men, when scorer of their goal Anderson hobbled off after falling heavily under pressure from Welford, Deal having introduced the last of their three subs Danny Smith just two minutes earlier.

Ashford took full advantage of the extra man to restore the two goal cushion in the 77th minute when Welford scored his second header of the match. Rising well to meet a well delivered cross from diminutive right-back George Savage to take his tally to 28 for the season, having now notched 13 in the last nine appearances.

Welford, very much a nemesis for shell shocked Deal, followed on from his hat-trick in the October win with his third brace in the fixture, thus making it nine goals in four appearances for Ashford against them.

Deal offered very little going forward and could have gone further behind but Frazer Walker poked the pull wide of the target after a poor clearance from Tonkin.

Welford then tried acrobatically to connect with a hard driven ball into the box as the visitors piled on the pressure in the closing stages.

The piece de resistance came in the final minute and was a moment of sublime quality from Palmer who bamboozled the bemused Tonkin with an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box, for a strong contender for goal of the season to complete the 4-1 score.

The roar of celebration was something to behold and set up the Ashford Male Voice Choir behind the goal to sing their favourite Palmer song, the lyrics of which can’t be shown within this match report.

The victory takes Ashford back to second in the table, after slipping from top spot having not played since Christmas, but with favourites Crowborough seemingly unstoppable, Ashford can but do their best to remain in contention during the rest of the campaign and hope that the Crows slip up at some stage.

Next up for United is a home league clash against Corinthian on Tuesday evening, before travelling to Belmont Road to play Whitstable in the quarter final of the Kent Reliance Senior Trophy next Saturday.