Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

14/11/17 Herne Bay Lost 3-5

Match Report by Alex Perseval posted on 15th November 2017

Watters brace and Dalhouse first not enough

Match Stats

Date: Tue 14 Nov 2017

Kick Off: 7:45pm

Match Type: Isthmian League South

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 3-5

Score (HT): 1-2

Goalscorers (Ashford): Max Watters (32, 54), Andrew Dalhouse (61)

Goalscorers (Herne Bay): Thomas Carlton (17), Ryan Catmull (34), Jake Embery (63), Nassim Dukali (72), Junior Aikhionbare (78)

Referee: Isaac Searle

Assistants: Richard Joss & Shane Brown


Yellow Cards: Thomas Cooney (73), Jonathan Difford (90)

Red Cards: None

Herne Bay:
Yellow Cards: Junior Aikhionbare (62)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Aaron Lee-Wharton
Fraser Walker
Thomas Cooney
James Fitchett
Kwabena Osei (off 83)
Jonathan Difford
Max Watters
Ben Davisson
Andrew Dalhouse (off 83)
Joseph Bingham
Ira Jackson


Jack Healey
Matt Day
Mohamed Mohamed (on 83)
Brandon Williams
Ebun Odubonojo (on 83)

Herne Bay

Benjamin Hunter
Jack Steventon
Raphe Brown
Ryan Catmull (off 50)
Jonathan Richardson
Joshua Wisson
Connor Wilkins
Thomas Carlton
Jake Embery
Junior Aikhionbare
Nassim Dukali


Bradley Schafer (on 50)
Jardel Bunda-Kamara
Danny Leonard
Jack Hyslop
Alexander Mulrooney-Skinner

Attendance: 210

Another defeat for the Nuts & Bolts but not in the usual fashion as we’ve seen of late.

3 goals from the home team made for an exciting match, as I’m sure most Ashford loyals would agree it was probably the most entertaining game we’ve been involved in all season so far.

A lower than usual turnout on the cold Tuesday evening though probably not helped by the England vs Brazil game at Wembley which didn’t have nearly as many goals which were witnessed at Homelands.

Kick off was delayed by 30 minutes due to the Herne Bay side turning up later than hoped, unfortunately because of a lorry overturning near junction 10.

There was a great gesture of 210 fans & all playing and management staff holding a minute’s applause in memory of the late ex Town Chairman, Phil Castle, who was held in high esteem in the local footballing community.

Now to the match itself, we started brightly as almost immediately we saw Watters’ terrifying pace and trickery panicking the visitor’s defence on the right hand side, linking up nicely with Joe Bingham who worked tirelessly for all 90 minutes.

Young Lee-Wharton was busy between the sticks and made a crucial save early on by getting his fingertips on the ball to deflect it onto the crossbar and was eventually cleared.

Dalhouse was involved early, looking for his first United goal and got his head onto the ball from a Watters cross, but it was to go wide. Cooney was involved from the following goal kick as he intercepted a pass from the right back and won a throw in, which unfortunately, against the run of play, eventually resulted in Carlton scoring from a powerful strike from outside of the box for the visitors to take the lead in the 17th minute.

Fraser Walker, who didn’t have his best of games in a green shirt, was fouled on the half way line to win a free kick in the 19th minute. Davisson took, only for the ball to bounce over every player in the box.

Looking dangerous again, and a bit more comfortable from taking the lead, Nassim Dukali struck with force from outside the box, and the ball rocketed just past the post in the 25th minute.

Just 2 minutes later, ‘The Beast’, in Andrew Dalhouse, fired a nuclear missle of a shot from about 25 yards with great accuracy at the opposition goal, and somehow Ben Hunter, who had the game of his life in the Herne Bay goal, pushed it over the top of the crossbar. The resulting corner forced another corner at Dalhouse was putting real pressure on the Bay defence.

Then, finally on the 31st minute we scored our first goal of the game as Max Watters stood strong to get past the last man and fire it past Hunter to equalise.

Unfortunately, the United faithful in the stands weren’t singing for long, as an almost immediate reply came from the visitors as they scored within seconds from kick off to make it 1-2 in the 33rd minute.

Ira Jackson, in just his second start for us came close in the 36th minute with a shot from just inside the box to win a corner, and shot again in the 38th minute after Osei found him with a well found pass.

Lee-Wharton was busy again in the 39th minute as he made another important save to keep the deficit down, before Ben Davisson created a wonderful opportunity from a through ball to Watters who somehow, couldn’t beat the keeper, but it certainly looked easier to score than miss at that chance.

The second half started brightly for the home side, and Ira Jackson looked very dangerous on the left wing shooting towards the Fixings Warehouse stand. And he was at it again in the 53rd minute as he beat the right back and only had the keeper standing in his way, but Hunter, being consistent, made a magnificent save with his feet to stop the young forward.

It was only seconds later however, that Joe Bingham, in the same position as Jackson just moments before, also beat the right back and passed across goal to find Watters who fired the ball into the top of the net to make it 2-2.

Whitmore’s side kept the pressure on, and done it well, as in the 61st, Andrew Dalhouse headed in to the corner to make it 3-2 after our corner kick was fluffed around in the box, our own Akinfenwa was in the right place at the right time!

But once again, after scoring a vital goal in this match, for a second time we conceded within seconds from scoring ourselves. In the 63rd minute, Jake Embery punished our lack of organisation at the back and equalised for Herne Bay.

It was only 8 minutes later, when a moment of magic took place, but unfortunately it was for the opposition, as Nassim Dukali scored a worldy into the top corner from distance, which I’d imagine would have been tough for any keeper to stop.

Frustrations showed from our players as Cooney picked up our first booking of the game, which was later followed by Difford, though separated from another great strike, this time from the opposing number 10 as a great strike from a tight angle managed to find it’s way into the bottom corner and we were 5-3 down.

Two debutants made their way onto the pitch as we welcomed Momhamed Mohamed (so good they named him twice?) and Ebun Odubonojo in the 83rd minute. But more heroics from Ben Hunter and some good defending towards the end kept the scoreline as it was and the full time whistle was blown.

Some encouraging signs, especially going forward, but we can only hope Whitmore and Barnes can organise our defence going into our hard run of games coming up towards December.