Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

13/9/16 Bearsted Lost 0-1

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 14th September 2016

Late goal sinks United as back-to-back home league defeats suffered

Match Stats

Date: Tue 13 Sep 2016

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Homelands

Score (FT): 0-1

Score (HT): 0-0

Goalscorers (Bearsted): Sam Flisher (82)

Referee: Jak Hill

Assistants: Ollie Smith & Wayne Dunn


Yellow Cards: Ryan Palmer (76)

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: Thomas Brown (38), Scott Andrews (75)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Owen Mcleod
George Savage
Charlie Dickens
Mikey Dalton (off 64)
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer (off 78)
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford
Luke Eldridge (off 51)
Rory Hill


Michael Phillips (on 51)
Paul Booth
Danny Lye
Tom Fagg (on 64)
Josh Woolley (on 78)


Scott Andrews
Thomas Brown
Sam Fairweather
Andrew Foster
Andrew Hart
Matthew Garner
Peter Williams
Sam Flisher
Andy Irvine (off 89)
Keelan Mooney (off 87)
Bradley Webb (off 73)


Saul Grant (on 89)
Matthew Guest (on 87)
Callum West (on 73)
Ben Donnelly

Attendance: 233

Sam Flisher scored the only goal of the match, as the hosts succumbed to back-to-back home league defeats for the first time since November 2011.

Bearsted included three former United players as Peter Williams, Andy Irvine and Keelan Mooney are all familiar faces at the Homelands, whilst Mikey Dalton lined-up for United against a former club.

Ashford were made to pay for failing to convert a host of chances throughout the evening, Shaun Welford could have scored a double hat-trick as Bears goalkeeper Scott Andrews – who was easily the man of the match – denying the top scorer on three separate occasions.

Welford also went close with three headers that narrowly missed the target, whilst Andrews was on hand to pull off a brilliant save with his feet to thwart Ryan Palmer from close range, in the opening minute of the second-half.

Andrews had earlier shown his prowess between the sticks pulling off a good save, diving low to his right in the opening period from Ben Davisson

Whilst it would be fair to say that Andrews was the busiest of the two keepers – with Owen Mcleod again deputising for George Kamurasi – the best chance of the night fell to Irvine who blasted over the bar, following a swift attack by the visitors.

The second-half was a scrappy affair, but Ashford were guilty of a number of poor touches and over hit passes, Lye rang the chances introducing Michael Phillips, Tom Fagg and Josh Woolley, but this failed to have any impact on proceedings.

As the game wore on there was a feeling that it would end 0-0, only for Fisher to convert from inside the box, after United failed to clear the ball from a corner-kick on 82 minutes.

Ashford huffed and puffed in the remaining minutes but it all came to nothing, so after the elation of the dramatic 3-2 win at Corinthian, Danny Lye will be scratching his header, wondering why the side were unable to bag the three points in front of a decent midweek crowd of 233.