Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

12/11/16 Eastbourne Town Lost 1-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 12th November 2016

Early FA Vase exit this season after United slip to defeat at Eastbourne Town

Match Stats

Date: Sat 12 Nov 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: FA Vase

Venue: The Saffrons

Score (FT): 1-2

Score (HT): 1-1

Goalscorers (Ashford): Shaun Welford (22)

Goalscorers (Eastbourne Town): Ethan Strevitt (30[pen]), Dan Bowell (73)

Referee: James Humphries

Assistants: Neil Wallace & Stephen Matthews


Yellow Cards: Stuart West (29)

Red Cards: Stuart West (85)

Eastbourne Town:
Yellow Cards: Chris Cumming-Bart (77)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

George Kamurasi
George Savage (off 81)
Ryan James (off 49)
Tom Michelson
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Ben Davisson
Shaun Welford
Luke Miller (off 74)
David Botterill


Luke Eldridge (on 81)
Brett Ince (on 49)
Danny Lye
Adrian Stone (on 74)
Owen Mcleod (gk)

Eastbourne Town

Greg Nessling
Sam Willett
Dan Bolwell
Alan Foster
Dan Rogers
Callum Sherriff
Jason Taylor (off 88)
Ethan Strevett
Evan Archibald
Chris Cumming-Bart
Aaron Capon (off 31)


Harry Ducatel
Fergus Burton
Adebola Sotoyinbo (on 88)
Matt Darby (on 31)
Jake Botting (gk)

Attendance: 177

Ashford’s entry into the Buildbase FA Vase for season 2016-17 saw them travel to Eastbourne Town at the Second Round stage, having been exempt thus far due to success over the past few seasons.

However after going down by the odd goal in three, their participation in the competition this year was short and sweet on a wet and miserable afternoon on the East Sussex coast.

United did though take the lead after 22 minutes when predatory Shaun Welford struck from close range for his 16th goal of the season, but the hosts drew level from the penalty spot eight minutes later. Eastbourne Town then made certain it was their name in the hat for the next round, after Dan Bolwell fired into the top right-hand corner after 73 minutes to seal the victory.

Pat Kingwell – who had a great game – produced a good clearance off the line in the 10th minute, then pulled off a tremendous block to deny Evan Archibald.

A neat one-two involving Welford & David Botterill ended with Greg Nessling saving well, however the flag had already been raised for offside. Luke Miller created space, but just when it looked odds-on he would shoot, the 17-year old elected to pass the ball across the goalmouth, with no one on hand to finish.

But it came as little surprise when Ashford opened the scoring, when Ryan Palmer waltzed into the box, before finding Welford who tapped home from just a couple of yards out.

This seemed to spark the hosts into life as Bolwell fired wide from a speculative long range effort, before Chris Cumming-Bart wasted a free-kick opportunity close to the by-line.

However they were slightly fortunate to draw level, when under pressure from Stuart West, Aaron Capon went down in the box. West was certainly not overly enamoured with the decision of referee James Humphries to point to the spot. West was then shown a yellow card, before Ethan Strevitt converted to equalise the scores at 1-1 with half an hour gone.

Botterill then headed narrowly wide from a free-kick, whilst the ever reliable Kingwell, was alert to block lively substitute Matt Darby, who had replaced Capon following the earlier penalty. West was then a touch lucky not to receive a second yellow card, following a poor challenge on Archibald near the centre circle.

Tom Michelson blasted the ball over the crossbar from barely two-yards out when it seemed easier to score, but his blushes were sparred when he saw the offside flag waved.

Then with the visitors finishing the half strongly Welford ran on to a long West pass, but Nessling advanced well to clear away the chance.

The second-half was a fairly scrappy affair and as the rain got steadier and blew sideways across the pitch, both sides clearly struggled with the conditions, with United particularly guilty of wasting a number of free-kick opportunities.

George Kamurasi raced to the edge of the box to clear the ball from the onrushing Darby, then in a carbon copy of the first-half, Michelson hooked the ball over the crossbar from two-yards, but again he was saved from embarrassment by the offside flag from the assistant referee.

Darby cleared the bar for the home side, Miller was thwarted by a well timed tackle by Sam Willett, Cumming- Bart then struck a shot nearer to the corner flag than the goal.

It was looking like one of those afternoons, when both sides needed a compass to hit the target, then with 17 minutes left, the home side found what proved to be the winning goal, when Bolwell fired home from the rebound after Kamurasi had saved well from his initial shot.

The Nuts & Bolts have developed a knack of striking back from similar situations this season having gone behind, but this time their goal touch deserted them.

A second yellow-card for West did little to aid United’s cause, then in the 90th minute Brett Ince curled a free-kick narrowly wide. This week however there was to be no late drama, as the final chance went begging, when Ince fired another free-kick into the wall in the fifth minute of injury time.

In the end Ashford could have few complaints and although they huffed and puffed, it was an inconsistent performance, lacking all too often the vital touches in and around the final third when it really mattered.

At least the disappointing cup loss means that Ashford can now concentrate on the league over the next few months, beginning with a trip to basement side Fisher next Saturday, as they look to maintain their lead at the top of the Southern Counties East table.