Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

10/9/16 Corinthian Won 3-2

Match Report by Kevin Hall posted on 10th September 2016

Michelson goal secures points after dramatic finale to match at Corinthian

Match Stats

Date: Sat 10 Sep 2016

Kick Off: 3.00pm

Match Type: Southern Counties East Football League

Venue: Gay Dawn Farm, Valley Road, Fawkham

Score (FT): 3-2

Score (HT): 2-1

Goalscorers (Ashford): Shaun Welford (35[pen], 40), Tom Michelson (90+6)

Goalscorers (Corinthian): Luke Tanner (28[pen]), Tom Fagg (88 OG)

Referee: Jamie Macleod

Assistants: Matt Charles & Jamie Eacott


Yellow Cards: Stuart West (50), Tom Michelson (90+6)

Red Cards: None

Yellow Cards: Jack Billings (56)

Red Cards: None


Ashford United

Owen Mcleod (off 83)
George Savage
Charlie Dickens
Tom Michelson
Stuart West
Pat Kingwell
Ryan Palmer
Michael Phillips (off 54)
Shaun Welford (off 78)
Brett Ince (off 64)
Rory Hill


Tom Fagg (on 78)
Luke Eldridge (on 64)
Ben Davisson (on 54)
Paul Booth
Mikey Dalton


Dan Bygrave
Jack Billings
Jamie Taylor (off 90+6)
Joe Loft (off 64)
Marcus Evans
Louis Pearce
Michael Hagan
Josh James
Luke Tanner
Oscar Housego
Conor Johnson


Colin Richmond
Brima Daramy (on 64)
James Sutherland (on 90+6)
Sam Groombridge

Attendance: 88

Tom Michelson scored a last gasp winner in the sixth added minute, to give Ashford United the points in dramatic circumstances at Corinthian, which leaves the side in second place of the Southern Counties East table following the 3-2 victory.

The winner coming after the side had been leading 2-1, before being reduced to 10 men after 83 minutes when debutant goalkeeper Owen Mcleod went off injured. Five minutes later stand-in keeper Tom Fagg let a greasy ball slip from his grasp to gift the home side back level, only for Michelson to stun the hosts in a pulsating finale to the encounter deep into stoppage time.

The reason for Mcleod being between the sticks for the first time, down to George Kamurasi having to return home, due to the sad death of his father, with no news yet on when he will be returning.

Mcleod was called into the action early on as the hosts made a fast start, saving well to thwart Luke Tanner shortly after Conor Johnson had gone close.

Brett Ince and Shaun Welford saw shots blocked as Ashford began to look the more impressive of the two sides, bossing possession and attacking well down both flanks, with Ryan Palmer and Rory Hill causing the home side many headaches.

However United went behind from a penalty in the 28th minute, when Tanner sent Mcleod the wrong way, after Michael Phillips had clipped Jack Billings inside the box, despite the protests from Phillips.

The riposte from the Nuts & Bolts was swift as they being to lay siege with wave after wave of attacking moves.

Welford latched onto a deep Hill cross which Dan Bygrave did well to save from close-range, before Brett Ince turned well to shoot narrowly wide.

Phillips was also convinced he had been upended inside the penalty area, but Mr Macleod was having none of it and waved away the gesticulations from the visitors.

However Ashford drew level in the 35th minute and it was courtesy of a second penalty of the first-half, which Welford thumped home after he had been brought down.

It was now one way traffic, with Phillips having an attempted overhead kick, which went just inches past the post.

Phillips was also involved in Ashford taking the lead after 40 minutes, Bygrave could only parry away his initial shot from Hill’s cross, but Welford was there to stab home to make it eight for the season.

The second-half saw a cagey period of play and although Ashford always looked comfortable in defence, with the solid central partnership of Stuart West and fans favourite Pat Kingwell repelling the home side.

Billings saw his name taken in the 56th minute when he blatantly brought down Hill in full flow, but Palmer’s free-kick went wide.

Billings then drew two good saves from Mcloed, the first a swerving effort, then another from long-range which the young debutant did well to collect, after it had clipped the boot of Charlie Dickens en-route to goal.

Mcleod then raced from his line to dive at the feet of Johnson, after the striker looked certain to equalise for the Hoops.

The game then took a twist when the heroic debutant came off in the 83rd minute after a lengthy stoppage, appearing to be holding his head, when he went off.

With United having made all three substitutions, it meant the side were down to 10 men, with the tallest of the 10 Fagg taking over the goalkeeping jersey.

Sadly just two minutes later, under no pressure he failed to gather Johnson’s low cross into the six-yard box and almost in slow motion, like a cricketer trying to prevent a boundary, fumbled the ball for an unfortunate own goal to make it 2-2.

Injury time had just started when Michael Hagan fluffed a golden opportunity to give the Hoops the lead, but he blasted his shot over the crossbar following pressure from a corner-kick.

United then saw Hill clean through on goal only to be impeded by Bygrave, as the pair challenged for a high bouncing ball.

The home keeper perhaps lucky to escape without seeing his name in the referees’ notebook reacted well to tip the resultant Hill free-kick past the post, with the ball looking destined for the top right-hand corner.

Then with the sixth added minute on the clock, Hill with defenders all around him placed a delightful pass across to the advancing Michelson, who showed great composure to coolly find the bottom left-hand corner from 20-yards out for a dramatic winning goal.

Wild celebrations then followed amongst the players and travelling fans, with Michelson, appearing to be shown a yellow-card in the aftermath for his reaction.

Michelson scored 26 times in 115 appearances for Hollands & Blair, but it is unlikely that any of those goals have been scored in such dramatic circumstances than this one, which opened his account for the Nuts & Bolts.

Ashford next host Bearsted in the league at the Homelands on Tuesday night, but are without a game on Saturday, before then travelling to Michelson’s former club on Saturday 24th September.

As we have currently no forum, an alternative view on the match can be viewed here, courtesy of Phil Barham.