Please Note: We are currently working on a brand new website behind the scenes, so things may misbehave or not look quite right on the surface for now, but please bear with us - it'll be well worth it!

15/9/16 Ashford U18s won 1-0

Congratulations to our U18s team who last night won in the Preliminary round of the FA Youth Cup beating Glebe FC U18s 1-0.

The winning goal came late on as Harry Lavender struck from the edge of the area in the 86th minute.

United started the game strong as right winger Edward Miller broke through Glebe’s defence countless times giving us lots of chances on goal. 

Striker Callum Howland was busy at times as he caused panic in the visitor’s box every time the ball fell to his feet.

Glebe’s manager was very vocal on the touchline from the start, but our young lads weren’t put off at all. United’s back line stood strong with Tom Budgen a key part in holding off the Glebe attacking play.

Aaron Lee Wharton didn’t have too much to do all game but when he was needed he was always there calmly and precisely.

The eventual goal scorer Lavender was involved often in breaks of play, usually putting great through balls to the likes of Miller or Howland in the first half.

A half time substitution saw Brandon Williams (who did cause a threat on the left wing at times) replaced by Clark Woodcock.

This change was had an instant impact as Woodcock found himself terrorising the Glebe right back with his first touch of the ball which was forced to go out for a throw in to Ashford.

The last 45 minutes was dominated by United as the likes of Woodcock, Howland and Lavender were linking up excellently.

A change in tactics from manager Jason Whitmore at the interval, where in the first half we seemed to focus on the right wing with Edward Miller, changed to focusing on the left wing with Woodcock, definitely seemed to worry the opposition as they couldn’t handle our pace.

Glebe did have some chances themselves in the game but on numerous occasions the ball ended up over the crossbar. The biggest chance for Glebe came in the 44th minute as a cross came in from the left and their number ten shot wide in front of an open goal.

Frank Godfrey, who came on for Tom Draper in the 70th minute put in some key passes towards the end of the game.

The winning goal came in the 86th minute. United were down to ten men as one of our players hobbled off (apologies we didn’t see who but Harry Lacey later replaced) and play continued. 

Woodcock was the provider of the ball into the box as he crossed in from the left after tearing past the right back. The ball fell to Howland who knocked it down towards Lavender who struck it hard from the edge of the box into the back of the net.

The boys in green looked for a second late on as Howland done really well to get past two defenders on the right hand side of the box and hit the outside of the post which went out for a goal kick. Frank Godfrey also had a go late on with a strike from 20 yards out but it was comfortable for the keeper.

The full time whistle went and it means Ashford United U18s host Littlecommon FC U18s on Monday evening at Homelands 7pm in the 1st qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup.

Good luck you Nuts and Bolts!

Ashford United U18s team:

XI: Aaron Lee-Wharton, Alex L-D, Charlie Sharp, Callum Whitmore, Tom Mercer, Tom Budgen, Tom Draper (off 70), Harry Lavender, Brandon Williams (off 45), Edward Miller, Callum Howland

Subs: Harry Lacey (on 87), Clark Woodcock (on 45, yellow card 77), James Moon, Charlie Cairns, Frank Godfrey (on 70)